Chapter 4

Katniss P.O.V.

"Are you sure you two are going to be okay?" Peeta asks me nervously. I laugh a little and nod my head.

"Peeta, you had to leave me home by myself with Willow when she was a baby."

"Yeah, but that doesn't make his any easier," Peeta says as he holds me closer to him. "Maybe I should wait a few more days."

"Peeta, Rye is two weeks old today. We'll be fine," I tell him. Peeta kisses my forehead, then the end of my nose, and then he slowly kisses my lips. "You're stalling like Willow does," I say. Peeta chuckles and kisses me again.

"I love you," he says softly. I smile at him.

"I love you too, Peeta," I tell him as he kisses my forehead again. Peeta looks down at Rye and frowns.

"I'll be back later, Rye," Peeta says as he bends down by the bassinet. "You be good for Mommy." I laugh a little and Peeta looks at me.

"Rye, I don't think your Daddy wants to leave," I say. Peeta smiles and stands back up. The phone rings, sending Rye into a fit.

"I've got it," Peeta says as he goes to answer the phone. I roll my eyes and pick Rye up.

"Why don't we go change you out of your pyjamas?" I ask Rye as I start up the steps. I lay Rye down on the changing table and start unbuttoning his onesie. Rye starts pouting and I smile at him.

"Are you cold?" I ask Rye as I quickly put his clean clothes on him.

"Katniss," Peeta says as he walks into the nursery. I turn to look at him and he shakes his head. "I won't be going to work right now."

"Why? Where are you going?" I ask him.

"To pick Willow up from school." My heart starts racing.

"Why? What happened?" I ask as I pick Rye up off the changing table.

"She's sick," Peeta says. I sigh and shake my head.

"You think she's really sick or that she's just so upset that she made herself sick?"

"I don't know," Peeta says as he shrugs his shoulders. "The only thing I know to do is go get her and go from there."

"Okay," I sigh. Peeta gives me a quick kiss.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," he says. I nod and then Peeta leaves the room. I go over and sit down with Rye in the rocking chair. Rye watches me as I run my hand through his blond hair. His eyes slowly close and he quickly drifts off to sleep. It's not long until the front door shuts and I hear Peeta's voice downstairs.

I carefully get up and lay Rye down in his crib. He stirs a little, but thankfully he doesn't wake up. I quietly go downstairs and Peeta looks up at me.

"Where is she?" I ask Peeta as we walk into the living room.

"Upstairs in her room," Peeta says as we sit down on the couch.

"Is she okay?" 

Peeta takes a deep breath. "She had another anxiety attack." I groan and put my head in my hands. 

"Is it because she misses us? Is it because she's intimidated by the other kids?" I ask. Peeta just shakes his head. 

"I don't know, Katniss," Peeta says. "She wouldn't talk to me. I got her calmed down, but she was already too shaken up to stay the rest of the day."

I think for a minute, trying to figure it all out. That's when a fearful thought enters my mind.

"Peeta," I say as I look up at him with tears in my eyes. "Do you think she's being bullied?" Peeta shakes his head and wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"I'm pretty sure that she'd say something if it was that," Peeta says. He shakes his head and angrily sets his jaw. "But if that ever happens, Lord help the kid who decides to bully Willow."

I laugh and wipe my eyes. "So you don't think that's what's going on?" I ask. Peeta shakes his head.

"Willow's too much like her Mommy," Peeta says. "She's way too stubborn to let someone bully her without fighting back." I laugh again and lay my head over on his shoulder.

"I'd better go up and check on her," I say. Peeta nods and kisses my forehead, and I go back upstairs. I go into Willow's room to see her sitting on her bed with her legs curled up and her little head laying on her knees. She's still shaking a little, so I don't say anything.

I just sit down on the edge of her bed and pull her up into my lap. She lays her head over on my shoulder and I kiss the top of her head.

Whatever's going on, it shouldn't be happening to my baby girl. She's only five. She shouldn't be having panic attacks like this.

"I'm sorry, Mommy," Willow says quietly as she hugs my neck.

"It's okay, baby girl," I tell her softly. "You're not in trouble. Me and Daddy just want to know what's going on. We love you so much, and we don't like to see you upset like this." She looks up at me and sniffles.

"I not mean to cry, Mommy," Willow says. "I just can't help it." 

"Don't worry about it, Willow," I tell her. "Why don't you just rest right now, okay? Don't worry about anything. Just calm down so you can feel better." Willow nods and I kiss her cheek. I lay her down on her bed and she looks up at me.

"You and Daddy are not mad?" Willow asks.

"Of course not, Willow," I tell her. "Sweetie, why would we be mad at you?" Willow shrugs her shoulders.

"Because I cry at school."

"Willow, we aren't mad at you," I tell her truthfully. "We just want to know what's bothering you." Willow looks up at me with her tired eyes. "Why don't we talk about this later, okay? You take a nap. Me and Daddy are downstairs." Willow nods her head. "Holler if you need us," I tell her before walking downstairs to Peeta.

"Well?" Peeta says as I sit down beside of him.

"I don't know, Peeta," I say as I shake my head. "I have no clue what could be upsetting her unless she's just getting nervous from being surrounded by so many kids. It may also be where she's used to getting a lot of attention at home. I mean, even since Rye's been born, Willow still gets a lot more attention here than she does at school. The only question I have is why is it bothering her so bad now?"

"I don't know," Peeta says. "Let's just give her some space, let her tell us on her own time." I nod my head.

"She hasn't been sleeping good," I say. "She looks so tired all the time.

"Do you think we should ask about getting her moved to a smaller class?" Peeta asks me. "I mean, I know it's the middle of the school year, but if it helps her."

"I guess it wouldn't hurt anything," I say. Rye starts squalling and I sigh. "I'll go check on him if you'll fix lunch."

Peeta chuckles. "Deal."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excuse any spelling errors. I'm tired 😂 Hope everyone had a good Easter.