Chapter 13

I'm gonna ask for your forgiveness in advance.
And I have chapter 14 ready to go, but I'm evil so I'm gonna make y'all wait. 😘

Katniss P.O.V.

I open my eyes and smile widely. After five days, we finally get to bring our baby boy back home from the hospital. I look over to see that Peeta's already up, so I get out of bed and get dressed.

I go downstairs to see Peeta sitting on the couch. I walk over to him and wrap my arms around his neck from behind him. Peeta looks up at me and I smile at him.

"Good morning," I say as I kiss his cheek. "No breakfast this morning?"

"I thought we'd eat after we got Rye," Peeta says flatly. I give him a weird look and go over to sit down beside of him on the couch.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. "You should be happy. We're bringing our baby back home today." Peeta gives me a sad smile, but it quickly fades away. "You were acting weird before we went to bed last night."

"I'm okay," Peeta says.

"Peeta, we've been married almost eleven years. You're not okay," I tell him. "Something is bothering you."

"We can talk later," Peeta says. "Why don't we got get Willow?"

Mom and Haymitch have rotated watching Willow for us and getting her ready for school. We were going to bring Willow home with us last night, but Willow cried to stay with Mom.

"No. Not until we talk," I say. Peeta turns towards me and takes both of my hands in his. He looks me in the eyes and takes a deep breath.

"Please remember that I love you and our babies so much," Peeta says. My heart starts pounding.

"Peeta, you're really scaring me," I say quietly.

"Look, I know with everything going on lately, we've both been a little on edge," Peeta says. "With that being said, I think it would be best for us, and Willow and Rye too, if we..." Peeta quickly looks away from me and shakes his head.

"If we what, Peeta?"

Peeta looks back at me and swallows hard. "If we take a break."

My eyes widen and I slowly start shaking my head.

"Wh-What?"

"Please don't make me say that again, Katniss."

"Then why'd you say it in the first place?"

"Katniss, I don't want to do this anymore than you do."

"Then why did you suggest it?" I ask him as I take my hands away from him.

"Because it's like I said, Katniss. I think it's what's best for us and our kids."

"You think it will be best for our kids of we run away from each other?"

"Katniss, we wouldn't be running away from each other. Just simply taking a break."

"Call it what you want," I tell him. "But I won't... I…"

I don't know what emotion to feel. Anger. Sadness. Hurt. Desperation. So they all combine to from one emotion that I am no stranger to.

Panic. 

"What have I done wrong?" I ask, willing to do anything to fix this.

"Nothing."

"Then why do you want us to split up?"

"Don't call it that."

"Then what do you want me to call it, Peeta?" I'm trying to keep my voice calm, but it's getting harder to do by the second. "I don't want our marriage to end," I say as tears fall down my face. I don't give him a chance to respond. I get up and walk out of the house. I get in the car and start towards Mom's. I wipe my tears away, but Mom can tell something's off as soon as I walk in the door.