HeartBreak

|[ED SHEERAN POV]|

I stood there for quite a while... just learning to absorb what had just happened.

Realizing just how serious this is…

And my chest suddenly quarreled with pain and agony, both physically and mentally as Barbara's words sunk in.

I sucked in a breath,  the tight feeling of my lungs barely painful enough to cover up what I felt in my heart.

I looked down at the piece of shining silver that lay on my lap... and I rose an eyebrow.

I picked up the ring, looking at the tiny design across the top half- a leaf, followed by a heart, both sides studded with a tiny diamond, symmetrical on either side of the ring. Then, in the center, a large outline of a heart, a beautiful baby pink stone in the middle.

It was the ring I always saw on Barbara’s left ring finger… the one she’d always glare at after we.. well, after we have sex. It was a habitual thing I saw her do ever since we met, but I never really cared to think what it… oh

That makes a lot more sense.

It was a promise ring.

How can I not have taken notice?

But.. Why would she give it to me now?

I took a second to try and think, before I froze, abrupt guilt in my mind, yet a sense of awe.

Because I took..... her purity...maybe?

She had saved over a decade of her life to… to end up losing it to me?

That just shows that our sex was.. was more than just sex to her, if she’s constantly thinking about this ring…And just to think that she has a deeper meaning behind her actions towards me… It kinda makes me feel honored.

Because like she had ask the morning after her first time…

When she had asked whether it was just sex or love-

Now I know it was love.

Now I know it is love.

And now I know that I love her that much more.

I need to talk to her again, make this right.

*******

Ring…...Ring…...Ring…..

“C’mon Barbara, pick up please,” I huffed under my breath.

Stuart watched me as he stuck my luggage- which I hadn’t noticed Barbara left with the receptionist- into his trunk.

It had been six days since she left. I was going to go after her, but the hospital said my pneumonia had worsened a bit, making me stay an extra five days before i was well enough to leave…

I couldn’t call her  either because I had forgotten my phone charger back in Big Bear, and my phone had died.

Stuart finally showed up, and I was dying to leave this jail cell, desperate for his phone charger.

“ I assure I'd be here in a week, just to come to Cali for you and Barbs, and I come back to see you alone.You two are at it again? What did you do- rather, what did you guys not do now,” Stuart asked as he walked to the driver’s side of his car.

I sighed, shrugging as I kept a blank face. I let out a dragged cough, weirded out by the sudden warmth outside…Oh wait, I forgot I was in California...

“I don’t know, man. I just… this is so difficult,” I put my phone down when she didn’t pick up after the seventh time calling her… She probably really doesn’t want to talk to me.