Chapter Nine: On The Road

Chapter Eight

Lizzie

"I can't believe he forgot me." I whisper to Mika. "He forgot us."

"He didn't forget. He probably got busy and couldn't reach us. He's probably at the prison right now looking frantically for all of us." Mika says reassuringly.

"What if he's dead?" I whisper.

"He's not dead. Tyreese is coming." She says. I look back and see him walking towards us. He saved Mika, Judith, and I. We lost Carol. She told us to stay put but she didn't come back. Then Tyreese saw us with Judith and told us to come with him. We got out of the prison just in time and we are currently camping out on some railroad tracks.

"I found some, grapes." He says. I open his bag and pulls out a vine full of green grapes. Some are brown but most of them are bright green. Mika takes some and starts to eat.

"Lizzie?" Tyreese says, holding out a handful of grapes to me.

"I'm not hungry." I tell him, even though I haven't eaten in a day.

"Okay. I'll save some." He says with a smile. He is carrying Judith in a make shift baby carrier on his back; a white, wooly bag that is held together with rope.

"How is she?" I ask him, referring to Judith.

"Fine. She might need a diaper change soon." He laughs. We get back to walking. Our goal is to try and find some of our people. We are sticking by the railroad tracks because Tyreese says that it is much better than being in the woods. A deer appears about twenty feet away from us. Tyreese stops us and pulls out a gun.

"No." I whisper. He aims the gun at the deer and loads it. When he is about to pull the trigger I push his arm and he shoots the bullet in the air.

"No!" I yell. He yells in pain and I back away. He holds his arm and when he takes his hand of of his arm, it's covered in blood.

"I'm so sorry!" I cry.

"It's okay, it happened at the prison." He says.

"I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!" I sob.

"Lizzie, it's fine." Mika says. Judith starts to cry from her carrier.

"I'll get her." Says Mika. She walks behind Tyreese and gets Judith. She holds her and pats her back. She still cries.

"The Walkers are going to hear her." Mika says. Tyreese grabs Judith and holds her in front of his face.

"What do you want. Come on, what do you want?" Tyreese says.
Twigs crack and Mika grabs Tyreese's arm.

"They're coming!" She says.

"Ow! That hurt Mika!" Tyreese yells.

"Yell at her, she doesn't understand walkers." I say.

"You're the one that doesn't understand them!" Mika yells. Tyreese puts Judith on her blanket on the floor and walks off.

"Watch the baby." He says and stands in front of a bush. Judith continues crying. I look at Tyreese and a flock of crows fly out of the bush. Mika screams and runs into the woods.

"Mika!" Tyreese yells. He grabs Judith and I grab her blanket and we run after Mika.

"Mika! Mika!' Tyreese yells but whispers at the same time.

"You yelled at her and now she's gone." I say.

"Mika." Tyreese whispers. Mika starts to inch out from behind a tree.

"Are you okay." Tyreese says as we both walk to her.

"I got scared." She says.

"It's okay. You did the right going by running." He tells her.

"What?" I say.

"She did. When you hear or see a Walker, you run. But when you're in a group, you try and stay close." He says.

"Your arm. It's bleeding. Did I do that?" Mika asks.

"It was a lot worse at the prison. No big." He says.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm not like Lizzie." Mika says.

"It's okay. You each do things your own way. But you both get it done." He says.

"Like you and Sasha?" Mika asks.

"You're not like Sasha." I say.

"Why not?" She asks.

"Because you're here and Sasha isn't." I say.

At that moment, a distant scream went off in the distance. Tyreese hands me Judith and has Mika and I back to back.

"What are you doing?" Mika asks.

"I'm making it so you can see in both directions. You stay like this and keep watch." He says.

"You're leaving us?" Mika asks.

"They may be from the prison. I need to help them." He says.

"We need you." Mika whimpers.

"Mika, tuck your shirt behind your knife so it's easier to grab." I tell her. Another scream sounds. Tyreese starts to run off but Mika says, "Please. Please don't go."

"Mika. You're strong. You can handle this. What do you do when you see a Walker?" He asks us.

"Run." Mika says.

"Towards me and together." He tells us. Then Tyreese disappears into the woods. Judith cries and cries.

"Lizzie, they're gonna hear us." Mika complains. I place my hand over Judith's mouth and nose so her crying is muffled. Maybe, she can become like them. She can die and become one of them. I hear Mika calling my name but I don't care. I want Judith to change. She'll be safer.

"Lizzie!" Mika yells. I look up and see two walkers. Someone from behind shoots them both. When they fall, we see a familiar face. Carol.

"Carol!" Mika says. She runs to her and Carol grasps her in her arms.
We all walk to where Tyreese is.
He is standing infront of a few dead walkers and a man, still alive.

"Tyreese?" Carol says. He turns back and smiles when he sees Carol. He hugs us all.

"Stay on the tracks." The man says.
He has a bite mark on his neck.
"That was my mistake." The man says. We all turn around and start walking. I can hear the man sobbing behind us. I think it's a good thing he'll change.

We start to walk on the railroad tracks. Carol and Tyreese make small talk but in a few minutes, we reach a sign.

"Look!" Mika says. She runs up to the sign.

"Community for all sanctuary for all. Those who arrive, survive." She reads the sign.

"Terminus?" Carol says.

"We should go." Tyreese says.

"All railroad tracks lead there." Carol says. We continue walking and our new goal, is to find Terminus.