Chapter Twelve: Hunting

Chapter Twelve

Carl

Michonne left. I don't know for how long but she told me that she will be back.

"Is this right?" Mika asks me. I tighten the string on the end of her rod and answer, "Now yes. Now it's just a waiting game."

Mika and I are sitting on a dirt patch next to a lake. My dad wanted me to teach her how to fish while him and Tyreese and Carol, Lizzie, and Judith went out to hunt and gather.

"Do you understand them?" Mika asks me.

"Understand what?" I ask.

"The Walkers. Lizzie doesn't so I just thought most kids don't."

"Oh, well I do. I'm not so much of a kid anymore."

"I'm ten, I understand them. Lizzie is fourteen, though."

"I am, too. She is just finding her way to cope with the way things are now. I bet somewhere deep down inside of her, she knows what they are. She just doesn't want to admit what they are."

Then, her rod gets a tug. After an hour of being out by the lake, we catch three medium sized fish. We walk back to our small camp and see Tyreese and my dad sitting by a fire. We stab a stick through each fish and roast them over the fire. Lizzie, Carol and Judith make it back in time for dinner.

"We should set up signs around the woods that say to follow the tracks to Terminus." Tyreese says.
He's probably doing it for Sasha. I can't blame him. I would do it for Lizzie.

"Tomorrow. When the sun is up. Then we will keep on walking." My dad says.

"We should get some rest." Carol says with a sigh. Lizzie looks at me and smiles. I smile back and she turn to Mika. Mika and her lie down on one side of the fire and I lie down alone. My dad takes first watch and Tyreese, Carol and Judith sleep in the same place.

"Carl." I hear my dad whisper. I sit up and look at him. He pats the ground next to him and I sit next to him.

"So, you and Lizzie." He sighs.

"Yeah." I say.

"You know she is messed up."

"I'm very aware of that."

"You can't help her, if that's what your plan is."

"I want to save her. Not help her. She means more to me than that."

"Good. Can you tell me something?"

"Sure."

"Would you die for her?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure."

"Yes."

"You know she could've killed you back at the prison."

"I know that. She could've killed you, too, but you're still here keeping her safe."

"I'm taking watch in fear of her. I don't want her near Judith."

"Too late."

"What?"

"She loves Judith."

"Keep Judith alway from her, do you hear me?"

"Good night." I say and walk back to where I was. I lie down and go to sleep.

The next morning we head on out. While we walk, Lizzie and I stay behind the group. We walk together, hands joined. We walk for a long time until my dad stops us all. He looks at Lizzie and I and I don't even think of letting Lizzie go.

"We should hunt. We're not going to make it by with the little bit of fish we had. All of us are going to hunt. Except for Lizzie, Carol, and Judith." My dad says.

"Shouldn't we have Lizzie hunt, too? She should make herself useful if she is going to be with us." Carol says.

"Yeah, dad." I say. He grabs a pistol from his pocket and hands it to Lizzie.

"Don't try anything stupid." He tell her. He looks at me and walks back.

"Let's go." He says. I let go of Lizzie's hand to pull out my gun. We split up and hunt. I spot a deer. Lizzie and I track it down to a field. My dad, Tyreese, and Mika follow slowly behind us.

"Shoot." I whisper to her.

She grips her pistol and aims at the deer. Mika walks up behind her sister. The deer lifts it's head and looks at Lizzie. I tighten up, remembering the day I got shot. I look to Lizzie and see her crying. I remember how I felt looking into the deers eyes. It staring back at me. Then, pain filled my lungs and chest. Warmness took over my body and I was on the ground. I heard my dad screaming out my name. Shane saying things and soon, I felt like I was flying.

"I can't." She barley whispers. She sobs and falls to the ground. I lower my gun and my dad shoots the deer. Him and Tyreese run to their food and I kneel down next to Lizzie. Mika follows my dad and Tyreese back to camp.

"Lizzie," I whisper," It's fine." She sobs and I wrap my arms around her.

"Kill me." She whispers, barley audible.

"What?" I ask.

"Let's go back to camp." She says and looks at me. We both stand up and walk back to camp. My dad is skinning the deer as Tyreese starts a fire. Carol is feeding Judith her bottle and Mika is playing with her hair. Lizzie sits down next to Mika and helps her tie her hair in one pony tail with the rest of her hair left alone.

"You okay?" Carol ask. I notice that I am just standing in the middle of everything.

"Yeah." I say.

Hey guys!! Vote, comment, share, and Love you all!!

-izzysam <333