Chapter Nineteen: I Don't Want to Die

Chapter Ninteen

Carl

I sit with my knees pulled up to my chest. The cart is dark. I can only see about two feet in front of my face. Lizzie is on the other side of the cart. It's been a week since we have been in here. Two and a half weeks since Lizzie and I were together. She still has food poisoning and I'm getting worried. She's been throwing up everyday. We've begged for Gareth or any other guards to give her some medicine or pump her stomach but they refuse. What really worried me is when they said "She'll die anyways."

Glenn and rick are talking about plans to escape the cart. All they have right now is making a hole in the cart with a knife. I find that impossible.

I see Lizzie's face appear through the darkness and she sits next to me. She smiles at me and I watch her. She doesn't look that good. They feed us every day, three meals, but she throws them back up. Her skin is paler than usual and her eyes are a lighter color of blue.

"Are you feeling alright?" I ask her.

"Yeah. Yeah, why wouldn't I?" She says in a rush.

"What were you and Carol talking about the other day?" I ask her.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. Just, how I was feeling. That's it." She says nervously.

She's hiding something from me.

"What is it? You know you can tell me." I say.

"It's nothing, Carl." She says.

"Alright." I hear my dad say.

I turn to him and hear what he has to say.

"We're gonna get out of here. Glenn and I have a plan but, it's not the best, under our circumstances. Lizzie, you're going to act like you got hurt. We are going to have to make a slit in your skin to get some blood. You're going to say that you tripped and fell on a screw. Now, the rest of this is going to be hard for you, Lizzie. If they take you out of here, you're going to have to kill whoever is helping you. Take their weapons and kill from the inside out. We are going to stay here. Sneak around the cart and let us out. Grab any weapon you can and bring them to us. Then, we just have to kill Gareth and the others and we will be home set." He explains.

That is the worst plan I have ever heard. But, it might work.

"Okay. I'll do it." Lizzie says and stands up.

"Thank you." My dad says.

"Cut me." She demands.

Glenn kneels to the floor and picks up a long screw. He walks up to her and grabs her wrist. He pulls up her sleeve and digs the nail into her wrist. Her face looks pained as Glenn drags the screw across her wrist. Blood streams out of her like a water fall and Glenn quickly rubs her wrist to her stomach and other arm. She looks like a bloody mess. I stand up and walk toward them.

"Hey!" My dad yells and walks to the wall of the cart. "We have an injured person in here!" He yells.

"Shut up." I hear one of the guards from outside say.

"She needs help!" He yells.

"Be quiet or I'll kill her now!" He yells.

"She is going to die!" He puts his face to the wall. The cart door opens and Gareth appears.

"Let me see her." He demands.
Lizzie walks to him and shows him her wrist.

"I fell." She says. Tears run down her face.

"Come with me." Gareth says.
Lizzie walks behind him and the door shuts.

God, help her live.