Chapter Twenty-Eight: Breaking Point

Lizzie

"Where's Carl?" Rick coughs up a few drops of blood as he says that.
I look back to Carl and tell him to see his dad. He crawls over there and tears fill his eyes.

"Carl, you need to listen to me." Rick says. "Take Lizzie and everyone to Washington DC. I know a doctor there who can solve what happened to Lizzie."

"Why would you tell me this? you're coming with us." Carl says.

"No. I'm not. I wanted so badly to make it through this, and I never thought it would be the live ones that would kill me. I just need to know that you will be safe. And the only safe place is Washington. Go. Now. Pack up and leave Terminus. Head east. Just tell him that Rick Grimes sent you. Tell him that you're my son." Rick coughs and Carl repeats no as he tells him this.

"Dad. You . . . you can't leave me here. I'm not a man. I don't know what to do. I'm just a boy who needs his dad." Carl cries.Rick looks at me and I smile. I kneel down and hand him Bailey. He holds her in his arms and cries.

"Could a boy have such a beautiful family like this?" Ruck laughs.

He hands Bailey to Carl and places a hand on his shoulder.

"Stay quiet. Stay healthy. Don't let them hear you. They here you, you're dead." Rick whispers so softly I can barley hear. That doesn't make any sense. They can see us. What?

Ricks eyes turn a tad bit gray and his face lightens. Now I know how it looks like to watch someone you love die. Carl has had to three times now. Ricks hand falls and his head hits the pool of blood on the cement, signaling his death. He's dead.

"Dad. Dad, no. You can't do this! moms dead! I almost lost Lizzie and now . . . now I lost you? you've always told me to be a man! what kind of a man are you? leaving your son behind to fend for himself while you go off into peace? you coward! You son of a bitch, I have a family now! I don't need you anymore!

"Why can't you understand that! want to know why? You're a selfish bastard who only gives a damn about himself. Want to know what I have to say to that? huh, dad? Burn in hell."

Carl finishes and hands me Bailey. He stands up and pushes through the crowd of prison survivors who are in shock. One, Rick is dead. Two, Carl just broke down completely.