Chapter Eight: This is It

Chapter Eight

Carl

He doesn't attack right away. He waits outside of the fences of the prison. He has a tank and about four cars and many people with him. My dad, Glenn, Daryl, and Maggie head outside to the second fence with guns pointed at his army.

I grab my gun and stand next to Daryl. I slip the end of my gun into one of the fences diamond shaped holes and crouch down to aim right.

"You're dad was right." Daryl says.

"About what?" I ask.

"He wants to talk." He says. I look across the field and see my dad on one side of the fence facing the Governor on the other side. I could barley hear murmurs from where I am out but everything became serious when the Governor pulled Hershel and Michonne out of a car. They both have their hands tied and are on their knees, gun men are watching them both.

"I could end this right now." I tell Daryl. I look through the scope of my gun and aim at the Governors head.

"If you shoot that gun, you'll start a full out war." Daryl says in his strong accent.

"He'll be dead." I say.

"They'll kill Hershel and Michonne." He says. I tighten my grip on my gun. The Governor looks mad. He goes to a car and grabs Michonnes sword. He runs back to where Hershel is. He puts the blade of the sword on Hershel's neck. I can hear Beth screaming and I look to see Maggie holding her back. Daryl curses under his breath and tightens his grip on his crossbow.

The Governor takes the blade off of Hershel's neck and points the end of the sword to the ground. He frowns and throws the sword back and swings it to Hershel. He cuts his neck open and blood spills out, dripping all over his shirt. Hershel falls to the ground and my dad starts to yell out no. Even people in the Governors army look mad. That's when the war starts. My dad shoots and kills a man. He runs to dodge behind a rolled over bus. I start to shoot. My bullets hit some men. Walkers start to approach the prison.

Bullets fly everywhere and Daryl and I take shelter behind a stack of wood.

Lizzie.

"I need to find Lizzie!" I yell over the sound of guns.

"Go! Go!" Daryl yells. I run to get inside of cell block C. Bullets miss me by an inch. I get inside and find Carol, Mika, and Lizzie scrambling inside with Judith.

"Stay in here! I'll come back for you guys!" I yell. I look at Lizzie and she scarily looks at me. I run to her.

"I promised you, remember? I'll come back." I tell her and kiss her.
I run back outside to try and find Daryl. I run back to the stack of wood but he's not there. I look to the Governor and see he starts the tank. The tank runs over the first fence and comes to the second fence which he runs over, too. I run to the other side of the prison where everyone else is. I look back and see Lizzie, Mika, Carol, and Judith come out of the cell block. They have put Judith in a car seat and are running away from the tank.

I run and run and start to see Walkers everywhere. One approaches me but I shoot it. It falls to the ground. I find Beth and Maggie, tears coming out of their eyes. They're outside of a bus. People are getting in.

"Beth, get the kids in the bus! Glenn, I'll be back." Maggie says and runs off. I turn around and don't see Lizzie, Mika, Carol, or Judith. I don't see my dad and I don't see Daryl. I run back to the cell block. I make it and grab guns and knives. When I run back out, someone shoots at my feet. I don't get hit but I fall and drop everything.

"Get the kid!" I hear a man shout. I look up and see a woman running to me. I get up and forget about the weapons. I run for my life. I loose the woman and stop for a moment. I need to think. I need to find my dad and Lizzie. From the corner of my eye, I see Michonne. And then I see my dad and the Governor. They are both fighting, hand on hand combat. Then, Michonne drives her sword through the Governors chest. He falls and my dad gets away from him. Michonne disappears and my dad disappears, too.

"Carl!" I hear my dad yell. "Carl!" I run to try and find him, but I can't. I sit down on the floor and cry. I can't find Lizzie or my dad or Judith. I am Loosing everyone. Walkers limp to me but I kill them with a knife I found on the floor. Smoke is everywhere and a fire is starting in the tank. I stand up and see a Walker. He limps to me but turns away. I come up behind him and shoot him in the head. I look up and I see my dad on the floor, crying.

"Carl!" He sobs. I run to him and hug him.

"Where's Judith?" He asks.

"I don't know." I say. He turns his head and I look. In the same direction. I see a car with an open door. On the floor, I see Judith's car seat. My dad and I run to it. Judith isn't in it but in her place is a big blood stain. Fresh, blood stain.

"No. No. No!" My dad sobs. I start to cry more.

"Dad, we need to go!" I sob. He is limping so I help him walk out. We both make it out the gates and out of the prison. When we are in the woods, on a high hill he tells me, "Don't look back, Carl."

We walk down a dirt path road for a while. Then, I let him go. I walk ahead of him and let him limp behind. He let this happen. Judith is dead because of him. Lizzie is dead because of him. I broke my promise to her. I am a terrible person.