Chapter Ten: Reunited Part 2

Chapter Ten

Carl

My dad is still lying there. Still. Motionless.

"I killed three Walkers today," I tell him, "I did it without you. I don't need you. I can handle myself." He doesn't move.

"Dad, wake up! Wake up!" I yell.
It is dark now. I lie down on my mattress and don't go to sleep. I hear muffled noises behind me and see my dad on the floor. He is directly in front of me. His head lifts up a little and his hand reaches to me. He is a Walker. I start to cry and pull out my gun. I aim it to him. I can't pull the trigger. I can't kill my own dad. Who am I kidding? He is already dead.

"Carl." A raspy whisper escapes his mouth. "I love you."

His hand grabs onto my foot. I sob and stay like that. In the morning, I wake up and don't see him. I sit on the couch and wait for him to come. Soon, he walks around the corner and sits next to me.

"What happened while I was out?" He asks.

"Not much." I say.

"Are you hungry?" He asks.

"No. I had something while you were out." I say with a smirk.

"What?" He asks.

"A 112 ounce can of pudding." I laugh. He laughs too and we both enjoy this moment. Then, there is a knock on the door. Both of our heads shoot up. My dad gets up and looks through the peep hole in the door. He starts to laugh and sits back down on the couch. He looks at me.

"What?" I ask.

"It's for you." He says. We both get up and move the couch and undue the knot and open the door to find Michonne standing on the porch with her sword strapped onto her back. She smiles and tears fall form her eyes. I hug her without a question in my mind. Michonne is like my mom.

Later in the afternoon Michonne decides to head out to find food.

"Can I come with you?" I ask her.

"Carl, you should stay." My dad says.

"I can handle myself." I tell him.

"He can come. He needs some experience." Michonne says. I grab an empty bag and we both head out. Michonne stays inside for a moment and then meets me outside. We walk to a house a little down the road. We clear it and we find some water, peppermints, and spray cheese. We exit the house and walk back down to where my dad is.

"What's wrong?" She asks me.

"Nothing." I say flatly. She reaches into her bag and pulls out the can of spray cheese. I watch her as she sprays a lot into her mouth. Some strands of cheese drip down form her mouth. She growls as if she were a Walker. I smile but I have it disappear sooner than it came.

"I'm sorry. I don't have much experience entertaining teenage boys." She says.

"I was entertained." I tell her.

"You smiled." She says.

"I laughed on the inside, too." I tell her. She laughs and so do I.We walk closer to the house and see my dad running towards us.

"Go! Go!" He whispers. We start to run down the road and catch our breath at a railroad near the woods.

"They were going to kill me. We have to find shelter." My dad says.

"We could just stay on the tracks." Michonne says. My dad nods and we head down the tracks. It's midday. The sun is high and it's hot. We keep walking until we find a train cart. On the side of the cart is a sign.

It reads : Sanctuary for all, community for all. Those who arrive, survive.

On the bottom of the sign, there are all of the railroad tracks which lead to a place called Terminus.

"It's a shelter." Michonne says.

"If we follow the tracks, we will get there." I say.

"Let's go." My dad says. We start to walk more down the tracks as the sunsets. Terminus. It sounds like it will finally be our home.