Chapter 56

April's POV

I stared down at the phone screen before dropping it into my lap. "Was that Olivia?" Nina asked gently. I looked up in surprise, my eyes guarded against her sudden willingness to engage in conversation.

"April, I said I was sorry. Can you stop looking at me like I'm about to eat you now?" I remained silent but forced myself to chuckle. "Look, I'm sorry about blaming you – not trusting you. I feel bad about it, honestly. But... I was just shocked when I found out? I-" She paused. "My first reaction is never my best reaction. I'm sorry."

I smiled tiredly. "I know. I'm sorry too; I was never angry at you – I'm just... tired." I finished unconvincingly. She didn't look convinced so I pulled a face at her and ruffled her hair.

Nina blew me a kiss and sat back on the deck chair, stretching out her tanned legs ahead of her.

"What's a four letter word for a vessel?" Donna announces suddenly, her hand shooting up in the air to point the pen to the sky as though she was pleading for Athena's help herself. We were sitting around the pool area in the sun and it was warm out, the sun beating down on my neck mercilessly.

"Ship? Boat? Duct?" I suggested, as I leaned over to peer at the monochromatic blur of the daily crossword puzzle. "What are you doing, Donna? I thought you were too cool for crosswords? Aren't they so yesterday?"

"Shut up, April."

Nina snorted and Barbara shot a grin in our direction too. "She's acting old because she found a wrinkle on her forehead – how many times do I need to tell you that it's only a frown line?"

"Donna, it's because you frown upon people too much," Barbara chirped in, the insult rolling off her tongue smoothly.

"I am getting so old – look, do my pores look big today? And, look! Is this a grey hair!" She moaned, her fingers groping her face and hair. I bit back a laugh at her hapless expression.

"I think it's the universe telling you to take less pride in your appearance." I beamed at her, making Donna flip me the bird in response.

"Hey!" Barbara snapped her fingers in front of us, breaking apart me and Nina in peals of laughter. I sobered at her expression. "Where's Emma?"

Donna brightened and sat forward, the answer sitting on her lips. Unwittingly, we all leaned forward too. "Don't you know? Her and Carlos have gone to... well; you know hustle about in the woods and shimmy about in their Calvin's."

"You are disgusting Donna."

Nina grinned and then stared at me as though silently asking if I had caught on yet. I nodded, though the joke was still lost on me. "Are they going to be long?" I asked.

"Well, that depends on whether or not they use protection – who knows, they could be gone for days if they're that frisky." In the end, Beau came to whisk Barbara away and Diego arrive a few moments later. We simply stared at each other awkwardly, remembering our tense encounter from a few days ago.

"April – um, can we talk?"

"Sure," I said brightly, swallowing my apprehension. I'm pretty sure Diego wanted to kill me when I jumped in front of Noah that day, but I'm glad he didn't.

He led me aside nervously, his expression the polar opposite of his wolf form filled with rage a few days ago. "I'm so sorry for how I treated you the other day with Noah. I feel terrible about it, I would never have hurt you –"