Chapter 31

April's POV

An awkward silence hung over us as we sat at the table. "So," Diego began awkwardly. As he was met with silence, he sighed audibly. "Aiden, let's just get it over with, okay? It's not fair leaving her in the dark like this."

Aiden nodded imperceptibly.

"I don't really know how to begin explaining this in a way that doesn't sound crazy - but here goes," he took a deep breath before launching into the speech that changed my life. No exaggeration. "Yesterday I did bite you. And, yes, we aren't normal... We're something else... Something different..."

Emma interrupted. "The word 'mates' that you keep hearing means soul mates – Aiden biting you and leaving that mark means that you are mates. Soul mates. That won't ever go away – you belong together – if you weren't mates then you would be dead by now. A wer- I mean a guy can't mark a random person – they'd die. You haven't. So in real talk - you and Aiden belong together. When two souls find each other, like you and Aiden have, the mark symbolizes that."

"We know that we said you could leave after this deal was over. But it wouldn't be possible now. You and Aiden would always be drawn together, no matter what – usually werewo- I mean mates would fall in love quickly, but it's different with you two. We don't really know why. You'll be like magnets, attracted to one another but falling in love like humans.

Aiden clicked his fingers, drawing everyone's attention back to him. "Let's just cut to the chase. She's going to find out sooner or later." He directed this to the group and they nodded nervously. "Yesterday, as you could clearly see, I wasn't human. Like you said, my eyes, my teeth – none of that could possibly be human. We're... we're werewolves." He said almost hesitantly, bracing himself for my reaction.

But none came.

I burst out laughing. "LOL. You can't be serious." 

Everyone's mouths were hanging open. Maybe it was because I used that actual word LOL outloud. "B – but April.. We're not joking – this is real. It's serious." Daniel stuttered. I ignored his words and looked at Beau, searching his eyes for any signs of amusement. There weren't any.

"You guys made a few mistakes with this - this 'joke.' Werewolves - whatever the hell that's supposed to mean isn't biologically possible. How can two completely separate species breed and form a character from legend? If it's true, prove it."

Aiden grimaced and looked towards Diego. "It is possible April. Remember that an wild animal chased you in the woods with your friends – that was a werewolf. Remember my eyes and teeth last night – that was a werewolf. See that mark on your neck – you tell me, a human couldn't have done that, could they?" I cringed in my seat and dropped my hair over my shoulder.

"If you want proof, then we'll show you. Come on," Diego stood up, gesturing for me to follow. Are they really trying to convince me of this?

When we stepped outside, Emma stood beside me and took my hand, squeezing it reassuringly as she offered me a small smile. Diego stood some way off and I squinted against the sunlight at him, small and shadowy against the forest.

"Okay April. You wanted proof, well here's your proof. Just don't freak out," Diego yelled, his voice being carried faintly by the wind.

"Did you hear that?" Aiden asked.

"Yes, I'm not deaf." I snapped. He didn't answer. Then, slowly, the image of Diego in the distance almost distorted. He hunched over as though in pain and then he supported his weight on all fours. He writhed as though being scorched and I cried his name. What the hell.