Chapter 42

April's POV

"Someone pick up the damn phone already." Nina hissed.

"Okay wait, April why didn't you pick up the phone?" Emma turned to me expectantly.

"How many time has Kayla rang?" Nina snapped as the phone stopped vibrating. She looked as though she wanted to jump into the screen and strangle our good-turned-bad best friend herself.

"I found it suspicious that Kayla of all people was ringing me and I wanted you guys here for moral support in case... In case, I don't know, said something I couldn't respond to. She's unpredictable. " I paused, aware of how childish it sounded out loud.

"So you called us into your room so we could pick up together and see what Kayla has to say?" Emma said slowly, voicing my thoughts out loud. I nodded hesitantly.

"April I think you should pick up – Kayla rang you for a reason. Put it on speaker though." She reasoned.

I pressed the answer button and put it on speaker, dropping it onto the bed and jumping away like it was poison. In a way, maybe it was poison – Kayla's words and thoughts had become poison lately. All of because of Noah – my jaw clenched at the sheer thought of him.

A pause. "Hello?" Kayla's voice came out muffled and crackly, a hint of annoyance seeping through the line. Me and Nina exchanged uneasy looks.

"Hey," my voice was soft.

"Finally, I thought no-one would pick up after the fourth ring. What took you so long?"

"Um, technical difficulties."

"Are you alone?"

"Nina and Emma are here too – you're on speaker." I admitted.

"Well I didn't call for chit chat. I just called to say that I know about you and Aiden April." My eyes widened, mouth dropping ever so slightly. Did she know we kissed? "You're mates now and have been accepted by the Silvermoon pack," she spat the last word with so much venom.

"Noah has to deal with a lost brother whilst you all laugh and celebrate. It's not fair on him. I also called to say to stop texting me –" I paused, remembering the desperate texts me and Nina had send her. "Things aren't as they used to be anymore. My loyalty is with Noah's pack now. I don't need you anymore so please stop texting – I only called to tell you this because I'm sick of it."

"Fuck you Kayla. After all we've been through and you think some lame ass jerk-turkey is suddenly the bane of your existence. What happened to the Kayla who cared about being independent and not needing a guy to rely on? What happened to the Kayla that vowed to never leave us?" Nina let out a scoff. "And now look at you - pathetic, love sick fool, unable to think or act on her own."

A sharp intake of breath sounded from the line. Before Kayla could speak, I intervened: "I agree. You two were my family when I came to America. We promised we'd never turn our backs on one another – we were like sisters and you're just going to change for Noah?" My words became angrier. "Why? This isn't you Kayla – you're not spiteful and stupid. You're... you're so much more."

"Don't. Don't try to guilt trip me. I've changed, people change and you can't change that about me, so please just stop. I'm done with you." With that, a few minutes of deadly silence echoed throughout the room. I could have sworn I heard a sob from the end of the line, before the sound of beeping signalled the end of our friendship.

"Shit." Emma cursed softly under her breath at the conversation she had just witnessed. Sensing we weren't going to move anytime soon, Emma picked up the phone and silenced it. Nina's expression was hidden – her head was ducked, almost as though in shame, her breathing jagged. I could tell she was trying hard not to cry but I knew better than to comfort her – she always felt the need to protect everyone around her.