Chapter 12

April's POV

I heard the distant voices of Nina and Kayla drifting through the open kitchen doors. I turned my head back to Aiden and stared at him with my mouth hanging open. He was smirking at me.

What do I do? Jerkface bought them here and now he has leverage over me. What do I say? What do I do?

"Get up." Aiden whisper-hissed at me from across the counter. I stood, quivering with anger. "Good. Now smile."

"April!" I looked up to be met by a bear hug from Nina. She finally let go so I could look at her properly - a guilty feeling washed over me. I was kind of glad she was here - it would be easier to beat them up with 2 of us together, right?

Nina's hair was curly, framing her heart-shaped face, her warm eyes, like the recesses of a perfectly brewed cup of coffee, staring at me. She smiled.

I wept inside.

I tiptoed and peered behind her to see Kayla, my other blonde-haired best friend laughing at something Daniel said. She glanced upwards, saw me, and grinned widely, her face lighting up.

"April, you went off the radar for a week – why didn't you tell us you were staying at your friends house." She said, gesturing to Emma who avoided my sharp gaze. How could she? After I became her friend. I didn't trust my voice to speak so I gave her an unconvincing smile and shrugged.

I noticed Nina glancing up between Aiden and Diego shyly, smiling. No way. She is not getting involved with that jerk.

I felt bad that they were here. I felt bad that they didn't even know where here was. Their well-being was on my hands. Aiden was the master and they were the puppets, dangling like fragile china dolls on invisible strings.

"This house is beautiful, Emma. What is this, a party house or something? Is that why it's so far from your neighbours?" Kayla asked curiously, her expression showing slight concern.

Emma was twirling a piece of fiery red hair around her finger and before she could reply, Aiden interrupted. "This is the ultimate party location - it's big, isolated and people can get pissed in the forest for miles around. Emma and April met back in England and they only recently got in touch again, so we invited April to hang out with us for the week." Aiden finished his well-rehearsed speech with a charming smile and slung his arm around me.

Kayla and Nina simply nodded – they'd probably heard it all from Diego.

"April, how about you come with me to show them to their rooms," Aiden smiled, turning to me. Before I could protest, Aiden began walking and Nina fell into step with him. Kayla was still chatting with Daniel and Diego, saying that she'd come up later. I think she was still struggling to digest this obviously shitty story. I hoped she saw through the lies soon.

I was trailing behind Nina and Aiden who were chatting to each other quietly, Nina inquiring about small details in the architecture that were blind to my eyes.

I glared at Aiden's stupid head, struggling to resist the urge to strangle him. If I could only push him off the stairs, I thought, staring at his back carefully - I could convince them it was an accident. As they continued to speak, I had to admit, they looked good together. Nina with her slim frame, waist-length hair and delicate features and Aiden with his dark and brooding looks. They were the perfect couple. But I am not letting him use her as his one night stand. No way jose.

We finally stopped at a door near my own bedroom and I crossed my arms to make it look like I wasn't panting so much from the walk. "Well, this is your room Nina. There's going to be a party here tonight - I'll see you later?" Aiden asked, knowing full well what her answer would be.

She nodded and raised her eyebrows at me excitedly when he turned his back.

As soon as she was in her room Aiden turned around to me and leaned back against the wall, shutting his eyes and pinching his nose, as though he was under so much stress. Yes, because it's so difficult controlling your victim when all she's done is obeyed your damn orders. I stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before deciding to walk away quietly.

"Don't move." He ordered, his eyes still shut. "As I was saying to Nina, there's a party tonight. You can stay up here or join in, but seeing as you don't fit in with my friends or your own really, you can opt out."

I didn't respond, but felt my hand rise as though to slap him around the head. I had to force it down again though - I didn't want to anger him. His mood was too unpredictable for that. "I don't want to fit in with your friends. You're not my type."

He peered at me curiously. "People would kill to be a part of our group."

"Who? Losers with no lives who like to hang out with a big-headed imbecile with a giant stick up their arse?"

He laughed, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "That's a little hurtful, April. I think you'll find I'm actually a sex god," he gestured to himself cockily.

"In what religion?"

"Every girl's religion."

This time, I snorted a little at his seriousness, shaking my head at time and turning to walk away. He was so arrogant it made me want to shake him by the shoulders and slap some sense into him.

But he grabbed me lightly by my shoulders and turned me around, leaning down so our forehead were near touching. I panicked and tried to get out of his grasp. His stormy eyes bore into my own as he leaned closer until his mouth was at the tip of my ear and whispered: "Remember the deal. You don't stick to the rules, then Nina will be the first to go."

I squared my shoulders and nodded before pushing him back with as much might as I could. Then, I walked off, but just as I was at the door to my room, I turned and flipped him the bird before slamming the door shut.