Chapter 53

April's POV

I stared blankly at Emma. "In which way is this 'girl problems?'

She scowled. "Well, a problem a girl may be having is a 'girl problem.'

My expression dropped and I groaned, rubbing my fingers on both sides of my temple. "Emma, if Carlos is acting off, just talk to him. You've known him for how long? Four, maybe –"

"Five years." She interrupted.

"Five years! I'm sure talking it out will smooth things out; maybe he's stressed out about something and needs space."

"Maybe he's going through man menopause." Donna threw in. Our heads turned to her in unison. Really?

"Donna!" Barbara exclaimed. "That's not even possible!"

"I've tried speaking to him." Emma spoke quietly, her head hanging. "Maybe he's just stressed or tired. I don't know – he's being too quiet lately and I don't know what to do about it. Maybe I should just wait it out." Immediately, we all nodded our heads, murmuring words of agreement. Emma met my eye and smiled sadly – I returned the smile and glanced down at my lap where my phone had been vibrating for the past five minutes.

I flipped the phone screen side up in my lap and stared at the caller ID, before taking a deep breath and picking up. "Kayla! What's up?" I kept my voice bright.

"April. I need to meet you – now. This is urgent. Can you meet me today?"

My stomach knotted at how serious she sounded. "I can't today. I have a check-up appointment."

"Look, I need to meet you as soon as possible. Can you come after the appointment?"

"I guess... what's going on, Kay?"

"I want to talk about over the phone. I need to talk to you in person. Please."

"Kayla? What's going on?" I demanded.

"Just meet me after your appointment. Please." She listed the time and place and clicked the phone shut, leaving me listening to a buzzing call line, my mouth open. What the hell is going on?

I shook it off and turned back to the group when I saw Emma staring at me. I smiled and gave her a small wave before turning on my heel and rushing back to my room. I didn't need Emma interrogating me, especially when she was worried about Carlos herself. But she still managed to catch up with me.

"April?"

I turned in surprise. "Emma, geez, you were quiet coming up from behind."

She shrugged, but her eyes remained inquisitive. "Who was on the phone?"

"Kayla."

"I'm not stupid, Ap. I'm a werewolf – I heard your phone conversation." She remarked. "Why did she want to meet with you so badly?"

I turned my hard gaze to her. "I don't know. You're the one with werewolf hearing who can eavesdrop on people's conversations. Why don't you tell me?" I responded, my stomach burning – I was frustrated that now Emma knew. And her being this worried simply made my own worry seem bigger – it made the situation seem scarier. And I sure as heck didn't want Aiden knowing about it as well.

She took a step back as though I'd scalded her. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I know. I'm sorry. I'm just stressed... I don't know, but I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"I understand. Sorry about interrogating you – I just don't want Kayla or Noah to hurt you again." Emma apologized softly.

"It's fine, you're my friend." We both beamed brightly. "It's understandable. I don't know... Kayla sounded... stressed on the phone and Noah's been acting weirder than before. I guess I'm just nervous." I offered. "Anyway, you don't need to be worrying about this right now!" I pulled a face, swiftly changing the topic back to Carlos.