Chapter 45

Aiden's POV

The machine's beeped rapidly, doctors rushed in and out from the door, the swish of blue gowns and strong smell of disinfectant tainting the air a blur to me. My vision distorted as I pushed through the door. My footsteps echoed in my ears, my heart slowing to a drumming thud in my chest. I weaved through corridors of doctors and patients and people, finally reaching the waiting room, my eyes wide, panting slightly.

People rushed towards me and I let myself be carried in the wave of people, their voice muffled in my ears. Where is April? Was the only thing on my mind. I craned my neck and pushed through people, my eyes falling on a small body being pushed through the hospital double doors, doctors milling around the two oncoming stretchers. April lay motionless on it, her chest barely rising and falling, her skin bruised and bloodied, making her almost unrecognizable. My mouth dropped at the sight of her eyelashes pressed against her cheek, her closed eyes dead from behind – her lips were blue with cold. My heart dropped in my heart, my legs automatically moving to keep up with the stretcher. April...

I barely saw Nina coming in from behind her on a stretcher. Nina's family had arrived but I'd barely noticed them, tears already streaming down their face as they angrily consulted the doctor, their yells filling the small corridor.

"Sorry sir, you need to leave." A doctor addressed me, pushing me out of the way and shouting something at another nurse, which set them all into motion.

"She's not breathing!" I heard a nurse say.

"Get the defibrillator!" The doctor yelled back before bursting into an emergency room, leaving the double doors to slam shut in my face.

- - - ** --- ** -- ** ---- - - ** --- ** -- ** ---

The doctor appeared from the doors after four hours of pure agony. His mask was pulled over his mouth and nose and he slipped it down, revealing a thin mouth pressed into an unhappy line, his thick-framed glasses shielding his small eyes that were currently darting between the many faces in the waiting room.

"Which are immediate family here?" Nina's family and Diego immediately stepped forward and the doctor directed them to another doctor someway off who. The doctor peered up at me and asked. "Who is," he glanced down at his clipboard, "April Evans family here?" I quickly stepped forward and as did Emma and Beau.

"Her family is England, but we've informed them of the situation. They'll be arriving as soon as they can. But we're her family too." Emma interrupted.

The little doctor looked from each of our faces slowly as though judging us carefully for any signs of dishonesty. "Very well."

"How is she?" My voice sounded and I started at hearing it.

"Well Ms Evans is in intensive care and is being prepped for operation." My stomach dropped. "When the car crashed, she was on the left meaning she suffered the full impact of the hit. She sustained several injuries, but the one we're most worried about is the internal bleeding from the impact on the chest area. It's not certain what the outcome of this surgery will be but we'll try our best, you have our word. We'll consult you after the procedure." My heart felt like poison. The doctor – Doctor Ramone I later learned his name was - patted a teary eyed Emma's shoulder with a slight bristle before turning.

He rapidly retreated into theatre, people still rushing around us in a distorted haze, leaving us with open mouths and a feeling of dread washing over us in a united silence.

"Guys, good news. Nina's in surgery right now, she'll be fine!" Diego ran into the room breathlessly, his face a mask of gratitude. I turned away from him not wanting to feel grateful or even happy right now. Anger and worry boiled in my veins. April... No. She can't die on me – she can't. I let out a frustrated cry and slammed my hand onto the wall earning me a few looks from visitors and I glared at them, turning on my heel to exit that fucking waiting room.