Chapter 11

April's POV

It was the next day and I was already sweating. Today was the day Aiden was going to bring my friends over and use them as a threat over me. Somehow, the only regret I felt was the thought that I took normalcy for granted in everyday life.

I opened the curtains and sunlight filtered in casting a warm glow onto the walls. For once, I actually saw the room as a regular room, not a prison cell. Seeing sunlight reminded me I was still human and this place wasn't a cold, dark abyss after all.

Spread across the land was a mass of forest – a silvery road was swallowed by the density of the woods, but it was still a road - so there was a way out of here. But these people still lived in total isolation. I forced myself to step away from the window and to quit sulking and then, proceeded to shower and change into something clean.

If I go down, I need to be prepared. I need to stand my ground and listen – if not then my friends were at risk. Aiden is unpredictable. He's an absolutely unpredictable twat faced little shit. I kept repeating this in my head, convincing myself that Aiden was the bad guy, because he obviously was. As I went down the stairs, I chanted it in my head repeatedly. Thankfully, the kitchen was empty.

I quickly strode over to the fridge and looked around. Grabbing an apple, I planned on wolfing it down before anyone entered the kitchen area; but my traitor stomach growled, pleading for more. Hearing something at the doorway, my arm automatically lowered the apple. It was Aiden. Shirtless.

It was just my luck that I began choking on an apple in that moment that had gone down the wrong way and I quickly turned around, squeezing my eyes shut.

Oh god. This is awkward. Does he find this awkward? I find this awkward. Is he gone? I had a silent mental breakdown and peeked through my eyes to see if he had a shirt on yet.

"Are you still shirtless?" My voice was hesitant. All I heard in reply was laughter. Spinning, I glared at him.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Have you never seen a guy shirtless before?" He spluttered, "Come on, turn around again. I have a shirt on." He said, his surprisingly warm laughter dying down.

"No. You're lying."

"You may as well admit you haven't seen a guy shirtless before and it's also obvious why you haven't," he said pointedly. "But I promise I have a shirt on now."

Slowly, hiding my indignation, I turned around, and saw he had kept his word. He now had a plain black t-shirt on and was yawning.

"You do know you have a milk moustache, right?" He said lazily pointing at my face and smirking. My stomach knotted with embarrassment, and I wiped it off quickly with the back of my sleeve.

"So. Tell me. Have you ever had a boyfriend, April?"

"It's none of your business."

He didn't respond, a smile lingering on his stupidly curved lips. "Why are you talking to me, anyway? I'm sure there's a bottle of alcohol just waiting for you to pick it up, Aiden." The bitterness in my voice frightened me slightly - as did the stinging insult.

"So that's a no."

"I didn't say that!"

"Well, your sassy response did."

"So I'm guessing you're a virgin too. And that you've never been kissed."

My stomach knotted. "Shut up!"

He smiled at me glowingly, dimple showing. "That's very sweet. You may as well be called the Virgin April." He pressed his hands together, looking up angelically as though singing a hymn.

"That's not funny. And there's nothing wrong with virgins - not that I am. Or aren't. It's none of your business!" I spluttered, my stomach tightening with embarrassment.

"But it is," he persisted. "Because you're so innocent and yet you pretend to not be, and that's very amusing for someone like me doesn't have a droplet of purity in their body."

I narrowed my eyes at him, resorting to silence because I couldn't say that his statement was wrong - well, not the last bit anyway. His green-grey eyes were sparkling with amusement. "I'm glad to see that you have more of a personality than it first seemed. And that you have a voice."

"I do have a personality and a voice - just not for you."

He pretended to look hurt, pouting at me from across the counter. Leaning back, he leaned forward, my awkwardness making the whole situation worse.

"Lighten up, your holiness. Your friends are here," he whispered, pretending to bow away from me. They're here? Already? And sure enough, I heard familiar voices bubbling from the corridor. My head dropped into my palms.

And let the drama begin.