Chapter 28

April's POV

Whilst they were arguing, my mind was still processing what I just found out – Aiden had a brother. No, correction – two brothers. My head whipped back and forth as I followed their insults, not understanding much of it but the word 'mate' popped out several times. I froze – oh no. I could feel a sneeze forming at the back of my nose. They were still insulting each other and Aiden looked like death right now. 

He must really hate his brother.

Aah – don't sneeze April! Aaaah – No! Keep it in, keep it in. Aaaahchoo! I sneezed loudly, causing both brothers to snap their heads towards me, pausing their heated argument. I covered my mouth and turned away slightly, cursing myself under my breath.

"Sorry," I mumbled, flushed. 

Cole grinned at me, his smile and wickedly handsome looks making me feel uncomfortable. "Bless you," he said, looking back at Aiden. "April right?" 

I nodded, smiling slightly. Aiden's eyes had softened to grey again and he was looking away from me, the muscle in his jaw twitching. An awkward silence hung over us.

"Come on boys, this is no way to act in front of a lady." A new voice said. My head turned to the new arrival and it didn't take a genius to figure out that this was the oldest brother. They all looked remarkably similar – all of them had the same high cheekbones and a constant patronizing expression. The same shade of hair. The same way of frowning. But the newest arrival had stubble on his cheeks and his eyebrows were thick as they rose at me.

"I'm Kaden, the eldest brother." 

I smiled, overwhelmed with this sudden family meeting. Unlike the others, he was dressed in a suit and tie, his hair combed to perfection. 

"And I'm Cole, the second oldest. Sorry about that little argument you overheard," he said sheepishly, rubbing his neck. "So, can we escort April around, Aiden? At least we'll get to know her a little more." I looked towards Aiden with a pleading expression – if this idiot left me alone with them.... I was going to kill him. 

"Whatever. Don't say anything stupid Cole, if you can manage it. Or I'll fucking knock your other tooth out." Aiden replied nonchalantly. Okay, so I guess I'm going to have to kill him. 

"Screw off, Aiden." 

"You screw off."

Kaden intervened smoothly, his voice harsh. "Both of you shut up right now." He gestured for me to follow and I shook my head in disbelief, dragging my feet after him. Now, I was trapped by three, tall figures marching besides me. Their heat radiated off on me, but coldness was evident on their faces. This is some messed up brotherly relationship. 

Aiden was on one side of me, his hands shoved into his pockets, pouting slightly and Kaden was on my other side, puffing on a cigarette. The difference between them was that Kaden was made up, suited and booted and Aiden looked like he'd just rolled out of bed. Which he had.

"So, April... You're my brother's mate." Kaden stated the obvious to break the tension. 

"Er, yes?" 

"Hmm." He replied, looking away again, seemingly uninterested in the whole situation again.

"How did you meet?" Cole asked.

"We met - " I looked towards Aiden for help. He launched into a similar but fake version of how he found his so called 'girlfriend' or 'mate' as they like to call it. I remained silent, humming in all of the right places and nodding understandingly at Cole whenever we made eye contact. 

I could feel eyes staring into the side of my face and an arm took hold of my elbow, leading me away gently from Cole and Aiden. I looked up in confusion and saw Kaden, his composed act fading. He sighed as he leaned again the counter.

"Are you okay?" I asked, peering at him closely.

"No." He sighed, shutting his eyes and rubbing his temples. "Me and my brothers aren't the best of company, I know. And I'm sorry that you had to meet us so suddenly – don't worry I'm not going to interrogate you." He assured, seeing my expression. I was more surprised that Kaden, the brother who seemed the most well put together was speaking to me. He seemed the most disinterested. "You're family now. And I just have a few questions to ask you, nothing else." I nodded slightly.

"Do you love him?  Aid's always found it hard to trust people ever since our mum died and now he's finally found stability - with you." He breathed, his jaw tensing ever so slightly. "I'm glad my little brother has found someone good for him and that he's finally stopped letting guilt tear away at him. Please take care of him." I was taken aback by his words.

You're family now.' 'Love him.' 'Since our mum died.' 'Guilt tear away at him.'  This is too much. I can't lie to these people –  I can't say I love him. I can't make these people believe that this is real.

It wasn't fair. To me or to them. 

I didn't know how to reply to something so heart felt. "I'm just asking because he hasn't marked you yet and usually you would be marked at this stage," he said quickly. I stepped back, completely blank. I don't know what he's talking about – this isn't normal. They aren't normal. I didn't know anything about the situation with Aiden and his mum apart from the fact that she died and he didn't handle it well.

And mark? Did they think I was going to get matching freaking tattoos with Aiden? Over my dead body, I fumed silently. 

"I – I- have to go." I breathed, walking backwards. "I'm sorry, I -" I couldn't even make up a lie, so I simply shrugged and ran outside, heading into the direction of the garden maze which was the first thing I saw. I found a dark spot of shade and collapsed into it, curling up and resting my head on my knees, sobbing.

I never cried. 

I hadn't cried much ever since they made me participate in this freak show of emotions, but this was an exception – I'm out of my depth here. I have no-one and no-where to go. I'm lying to so many people here and I hate it. 

I just hate it. 

Hope you enjoyed! Here are some questions:

1. Which is your favourite brother? (they are on the side banner pic!) 

2. Do you think April will find out that they're werewolves soon? 

3. What do you think about Kaden?