Chapter 17

April's POV

We'd been wondering around the woods for god knows how long and I'm pretty sure we were lost. I'd decided to go in a straight line - the woods had to end someday, right? Kayla and Nina were furious with me and threatened to turn back - it took every bit of my strength to drag them after me, arguing that it was better to stick together. I sighed and took a deep breath, calming myself down, but I ended up snapping.

"Stop it! Both of you, just stop it." 

Both of them stopped bickering between themselves and stared at me, wide-eyed, surprised I'd raised my voice. I was usually the calm one. 

I was sick of these endless woods and their constant complaining and mini breaks. Hello, I'm trying to help us escape from this trap and you want to go back there? But then again, they didn't know the full truth, which wasn't their fault. 

"Look, we need to stick together. We will find our way to the end if we just keep going. It will be okay." I sounded uncertain, even to myself. 

The woods were completely dark - only the silhouettes of trees rose around us, their tall willowy limbs filtering out the sunlight from above. It almost felt stale being trapped in the woody prison.  Every single tree we walked past looked the same and I had already tripped over so many broken twigs and branches. My knee was bleeding and it stung every time it scraped against something. I could feel my throat constricting. 

As much as I hated to admit it - I think we were lost.

"April, I think we should head back. Or split up. Either one is better than doing what we're doing now - look at us." Kayla pointed out, her tone sharp. "We're filthy, hurt and thirsty. How are we meant to survive out here for another hour, let alone the night?"

Nina hummed in agreement, leaning on a tree trunk to examine her grazed elbow. "I agree."

We can't split up. 

She can't leave. 

We can't go back. 

"No wait!" I I couldn't tell them the truth - they wouldn't believe me. I just knew it. Aiden was a master manipulator - he'd always outwit me. Even if I did tell them I was kidnapped against my will, they would ask questions. They would say:

Why didn't you tell us right away?

What about the police?

There were hundreds of people at last night's party? You couldn't have told us then?

Ah, crap.

"There's - there's wolves in these woods. I hear them at night - they're obviously still out here. We need to stay together. The worst possible thing we can do is split up, guys." I looked around at them, my eyes pleading. "Please. Just - just trust me?

I heard Kayla sigh before turning back to face me. I shot her an encouraging smile, raising both eyebrows at her hopefully, silently asking for forgiveness. Something in my expression must have moved her because she punched me half-halfheartedly, muttering that she was going to kill me once we got back.

When I turned to Nina, her eyes weren't on me. They were looking at something behind me. She whimpered. "Guys... I think there's something out there... watching us." I froze. My eyes slowly moved to the spot she was staring at and I could feel my body become rigid.

There was a pair of bright yellow eyes staring at us from beyond the darkness. Me and Nina were rooted to the spot with fear. It must have been a few seconds pass before Kayla's ear-splitting scream shot through the air.