Chapter 14

April's POV

I was frozen to the spot whilst Aiden stood in front of me grinning triumphantly at the fact that he'd nearly beaten a man to death. I felt my mouth drop open when I stared down at the limp man at my feet. I dropped to my knees besides his head and checked his pulse. He was still breathing.  Truth was, I was glad that Aiden had come, but also terrified when he didn't stop beating him up.

I heard a huff above me and looked up. Aiden had a look of complete disbelief on his face and he shook his head at me with incredulity.

"That guy just tried God knows what with you and you're actually looking over him?"

"I know that but I thought you killed this guy. You can't even see his face anymore." I retorted quickly, scrambling to my feet. "Trust me, I'm glad he's... well, like this now." Then I paused, suddenly aware of what Aiden had done for me. "Thank you." 

He pinched his nose, turning around. "Look, are you okay?" I looked down, nodding, surprised at his tone. "Just... just come with me." I didn't move. He seemed angry and I wasn't sure if he'd be even angrier if I left. Anything I did seemed to anger the guy.

He opened his eyes and groaned when he saw me in the same position. "Come on, April. My friends were asking about you so I came after you to bring you back and saw this dick trying it on. What were you thinking, god damn it." He sounded so distressed, that I frowned. 

My throat felt heavy and I tried to say thank you but it came out as a hoarse whisper. He must have heard because he looked at me, obviously annoyed. I began walking away from the drunken pervert but Aiden overtook me, latching on comfortably to my wrist so I was close behind him. His grip was soft. Sensing my discomfort, he let go and let out a little noise of realization, his eyes apologetic. I didn't want anyone touching me after that. I looked back at the man, my eyes stinging at the feeling of his nails on my arms, his breath fanning the nape of my neck. 

We reached the patio door and stepped outside. I instantly felt Aiden tense and I could see the muscles in his back flexing. What's wrong with him? Is there more trouble?

"Go to Emma and Diego. Don't stray from here, don't go back inside and don't wander off on your own. Understand?"

But dude, I need the bathroom.

His eyes burnt into me and I nodded quickly, fighting back the urge to pee. His eyes brushed over me once more and walked away quickly - I thought I saw concern there, but I doubted it. Before I could find Emma and Diego again, I spotted Nina and Kayla and sped walked to them. Kayla was drunk and Nina was sagging under her weight. I quickly helped her and together we dragged Kayla over to a sofa. She was drooling majorly on my shoes. 

Once Kayla was comfortable, me and Nina sat side by side on the couch whilst she informed me about a couple of friends she made she at the bar. We're not even at the legal age to drink. I nodded and hummed in all the right places as she talked but my mind wondered elsewhere. I didn't want to tell Nina about the pervert incident – it was over now. And I was angry that I couldn't defend myself as well as I thought I could have. 

She was now humming the lyrics to some unknown song and I think that secretly, she was also slightly tipsy. I stood up to  get her some water and maybe some food to sober her up, weaving my way through the packed crowd. I finally reached the drinks table and searched for a bottle of water. It took a while. The entire table was littered with red cups and Smirnoff. Yuck, I thought as I lifted up a pack of non-used condoms from the table. I scrunched up my nose and quickly threw them over my shoulder. I spotted a water bottle and dived for it. Happy with my find, I began walking back to the table only to be met with a hard chest.