Chapter 66

April's POV

My mouth felt dry and my stomach concaved upon itself. I needed to hurl. He stepped forward further into the light, like an ethereal projection, a crown of sunlight shards adorning his head; but he wasn't as innocent or kind as the sunlight – no. I was not going to feel anything for him.

"Ap," he repeated again softly.

I remained silent, still staring at him. I wasn't sure if the lack of sugar for the past few days had made me delirious, or if he was really standing there, saying my name. My eyes swiftly moved over him to check if he was okay. He was.

Then, his eyes moved to the man standing a few feet from me.

"Hello." Slap greeted awkwardly, attempting his charming you-can-talk-to-me smile.

Aiden's lips parted, exhaling, and he nodded once carefully. His eyes swept to me again but I stood still, unmoving, wanting desperately to tear my eyes away from him.

"Do you two know each other?" Slap asked sharply, glancing at both of us. "April?" I nodded at no-one in particular. "Did you need some time to talk?"

I don't know. Did I?

Aiden stepped forward and I made my decision and turning to Slap quickly. "No. I don't want to talk to him."

"April, please –"

I turned away, my eyes burning with anger and indigence. "Go away." I said coldly, crossing my arms over my chest. "Slap, are you shutting up the room now?"

Slap gave me a questioning look, his eyes saying is-this-the-boy? I gave him a small nod and sniffed, dropping my eyes. He understood and straightened up. "I think it is time to close up. Did you want a ride, April?"

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

"Ap-"

"Shut up."

"Can you please let me speak-"

"No."

I made it out to the car, following Slap, hot on his heels, turning away from the one thing I loved and couldn't bring myself to hate. He didn't make a noise of protest, but I knew that he hadn't disappeared and that he was waiting. When I reached Slap's car, my chest heaving with heavy breaths, I leaned against it, suddenly weary.

He looked at me in concern. "Is your chest okay? Do you need me to call your mom?"

I shook my head.

"Who is that boy? Is he 'the boy?' The breakup one?"

I nodded uncertainly, daring myself to look back at him. Aiden hadn't left. He was standing in the shadows, eyes shut, head leaning back against the wall. Shadows concealed one half of his face and the other was glowing dimly in the sunlight. His eyelashes cast thick shadows onto his upper cheekbones. He'd mostly definitely lost weight, I worried. I bit my lip – I was relieved to see him back – alive. But I couldn't succumb and run into his arms straight away. It had to be enough to see him healthy and here in the flesh, right?

I wrenched my eyes away. "What's mystery boy's name then?"

"Aiden."

He made a noise of approval, "pretty name, pretty boy."

I shot him a dirty look as though daring him to compliment him once again - he didn't deserve to be complimented. I was too angry for that. But I can't say I didn't agree with him. "He's a jerk."

Slap waved his hand at me and leaned his shoulder against the car, raising an eyebrow at the figure in the distance, looking utterly forlorn. "I think you should go back. Talk to him."