Chapter 38

Diego's POV

I gazed at Nina lounging on the sofa and a smile crept up onto my face. I had always felt a pull towards her and it felt like heaven to finally be able to call her mine and hold her in my arms. I glanced over at April scribbling on a piece of paper and smiled at the look of concentration plastered on her face. 

Maybe Aiden and April hadn't been as ready to accept their bond like me and Nina because they both had so many defenses up against people. Aiden because of his past and April because of her persona. But I could now see them drifting towards one another. Aiden looked less moody, April less worried, Aiden less pained, April less unhappy. They had changed each other in so many ways over a short period of time that it made me frown at how difficult it was for me – someone who had known Aiden his whole life - to make him smile since we were 12.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by two arms wrapping around my waist. I smirked at the Nina's body close behind me and turned abruptly, placing my hands on her waist, knowing she hated not having the upper hand. Her pout turned into a smile and her eyes twinkled as she jerked her head in the direction of the kitchen. 

Nina nuzzled her head into my shoulder. "You smell good." 

I pushed her away slightly so I could see her face and frowned at her tone – "Hey, what's up?" I asked in concern, lifting her chin so I was looking her directly in the eye. She looked away from me nervously. A sudden surge of protectiveness overwhelmed me and I brushed my lips onto hers teasingly.

Her body relaxed and she slid her hands firmly behind my neck, pulling me closer. "Nina," I said wanly, my eyes travelling down to her lips that she was now biting uncertainly. Nina, oh Nina.  

She sighed, resting her forehead against my own. "It's Kayla. I know I said I wasn't fussed about her leaving us, but it's different now. I know why she's acting like this and that it's because of that prick Noah. But I want her back Diego; me and April need her. I can't risk giving up on her." Nina moaned, shaking her curls out.

I was stuck for words – I knew that getting Kayla back on Nina and April's side was near to impossible. A mate's bond couldn't be changed and Kayla wasn't about to start becoming friendly again with her former friends. If Noah didn't like her, then Kayla would be influenced by his demeanor too. 

"I knew I shouldn't have bought this up – now you think I'm a whiny bitch, right?" Nina muttered under her breath, straightening up.

I shook my head at her and drew her in for a hug – if I told her that Kayla wouldn't be coming back I would simply her mood. She didn't deserve this – I'll tell her when the time is right and she sees for herself that Kayla has changed for good. I made my mind up and felt Nina tiptoeing upwards for another make out session – I pretended to groan and she frowned, smacking me on the arm. I smirked in response and she jumped onto the counter, grinning.

"No! Don't you even think about taking another step towards her Diego!" A voice yelled from the doorway. I turned in surprise to find April's accusing finger pointed at me. I slowly raised my hands in surrender and grinned backing away, slightly puzzled.

"And you," she pointed at Nina now, "Get off the kitchen counter. I chop vegetables on there and I do not want a full on make out session occurring in this kitchen, understand?" April. I glanced over at the now standing Nina and we both exchanged a sly smile – an angry April was a pretty damn funny April. 

Perfect for messing around with. 

"Please do not use this kitchen as your bedroom – it is not cool and, if I see you two messing about in here again, I will kick you out." She warned.