Chapter Twenty Three

IT was raining hard that night. Her clothes were soaked. Her long hair was tangled. Her breathing was rapid and shallow. Her heartbeat was racing like a mad cow. She has never ran this much before. She looked around her and realized that she eventually reached the park near their school. She wanted to stop and rest for a while but she feared that he might catch her.

Just then, a voice from behind called out to her. "Kace, stop!"

She didn't look behind. Instead, she continued to run, though her legs were about to bend and break.

"Kace, please listen to me!" he continued to shout. His voice was near. She tried to double up her speed. But, she couldn't do it anymore. She fell down on her knees. And cursed herself for being weak.

Suddenly, she felt a hand on her back. "Kace, you don't have to run away," he said to her.

She slowly looked up and saw the face of the guy who betrayed her - the same guy whom she learned to love. "Why are you here?" she managed to speak despite the weakness that she was feeling.

"I want you to listen to what i have to say..." he said.

"I... don't want to hear any of your lies anymore," she spoke in between breaths.

He heaved a deep sigh. "Then how about this..." he paused and leaned in to kiss her forehead. "I love you Kace..."

#

SHE felt her whole body shaking as soon as she woke up. That dream she had felt so real to her that she could almost hear those words ringing in her ears right at that moment. She didn't see the face of the guy and she wouldn't even want to know. She's scared just thinking about it.

Minutes later, someone came knocking on her door. She quickly got up from bed with her eyes half-opened. When she opened the door, the face of her brother welcomed her sight. "You're such a sleepyhead." Kris commented, messing his sister's hair.

"Why are you up so early?" She asked, yawning.

"Early?" He held up his watch and showed it to her. "Look, it's already 11 am."

"Oh... sorry. I guess I overslept." She scratched the back of her head.

"AGAIN," her brother emphasized. "By the way, I have practice today until 3 pm. You better get ready for the party this evening."

"Party?"

"Alex's party. I knew you'd forget. Just pick a dress in your wardrobe. I'll get going now." He patted her head. "Oh and if you need anything, just call me alright? Bye."

She nodded, waving goodbye to her brother. When he left, she decided to look around their house which she hasn't seen for how many years. There was a huge portrait of their family in the lounge area which she remembered to be her first and last family picture together with her mom and stepdad.

Then, her eyes focused on her stepdad's face, which quite resembled Kris's face. He has a serious yet gentle face. His outward façade is kinda the same to his personality. Kace has always been afraid of him. Even Kris couldn't argue with his dad. Still, she's grateful that he accepted her though they don't have that close relationship.

She sat on the couch when she got tired looking at the pictures displayed on the shelf. Mostly were faces of Kris and their dad anyway. Just then, a particular photo caught her sight. It was an old photo of her mom in her white lab gown. She was posing together with the kids in a somewhat orphanage. She smiled seeing how happy her mom was on the picture. She really admired how warm-hearted she was. How I wished she could've stayed and lived longer with us...