Chapter Sixteen

"IT was you, Ms. Kassandra Li!"

Those words kept on playing over and over inside her head even after their class. She still couldn't believe that she was being accused of cheating in class. She didn't even know how that paper got under her chair. Even if it was true that she wasn't well prepared that day, she still couldn't afford to cheat like that.

Her classmates were all throwing her looks like she's got a disease or something that whole day. But she tried to ignore all those. She was just thankful that Nix and her friends still believed in her.

She rose up from her seat as soon as their last period ended. She still had to go to the library as part of her sanction. When she was about to leave, she was stopped by her friends. "Kace, don't worry about it too much," Nix said, hugging her.

The guys nodded behind her. "Thank you for believing in me. That is enough for me," she said to them.

"We'll find out who did this Chief," Chester muttered.

Brandon nodded beside him. "I'm sure someone set you up."

Kace sighed. She thought so too. But she couldn't think of anyone in specific who would try to do something like this. "I'll just... go ahead now then."

"To the library?" Kenneth asked.

She nodded.

"Alright then. We'll go ahead too," Nix said, waving at her.

#

KACE made her way towards the library and started to fix the books that were left on the tables. She tiptoed as she tried to return a book on the topmost part of the shelf but to no avail. She tried reaching for it again until she went off-balance. But then, she was stunned when someone caught her back preventing her from falling. "L-Luke?" She blinked a few times trying to confirm if it's really him.

He didn't respond. He got caught in the moment that he ended up staring at her in the eye. He was still holding her back in his arms. He realized that he's supposed to release her now but a part of him didn't want to.

Kace swallowed hard seeing how he stared at her. She was growing really anxious now that she didn't know what to do. Kace, what are you doing? She was still trying to figure out something when suddenly, he finally decided to let her go.

"Y-you... should've just used a ladder, Kace," he said to her, when she's finally released.

"Uh... y-yeah. I couldn't find it anywhere so..." she got cut off when Luke moved closer to her. "L-Luke, w-what're you doing?"

He didn't know why he suddenly felt the urge to move closer to her but thankfully, he was able to control himself so he stopped and just smiled at her. "Come on. I'll help you put the books back."

She nodded. "T-thank you," she answered stutteringly. Then, they both placed the books back on their respective shelves. She wondered why Luke suddenly appeared at the library that time so she decided to ask. "Uh... did you have something to research here?"

He paused when she heard her ask. Actually, he followed her inside thinking she might need help and he wanted to comfort her after the cheating accusation. Besides, he should be responsible for that because he had her notes. "I... uh... just thought you might need someone to talk to."

She fell silent after that. She knew he was referring to what happened earlier. The last thing she wanted was to not let him think that he's the reason why it happened. "I... don't think I want to talk about that right now Luke."

He nodded. "But I just want you to know... I don't believe any of their accusations. I know that you're not that kind of person, even if... I've only known you for a short time."