Chapter Twenty

IT was already dark when she reached a narrow pavement leading towards the street where Park's house was located. Sophie's words kept on echoing inside her mind: "Help me talk to him." How could she even do that? She hasn't even talked to him for days.

She shook her head to ease the tension away. Just then, her attention was caught when suddenly, she felt like someone was following her. She quickened up her pace just to get away with it. If it was the guy from the club again, she didn't know what might happen to her.

When she tried to run, she heard running footsteps again behind her. She didn't want to look anymore. Her mind was set to just run and reach the house. Her hands trembled as she reached for her phone from her pocket. Exhaustion came over her but she didn't want to stop. Her pace was gradually decreasing that when she tried to take a break, a hand grabbed her by the arm causing her to smack the stranger hitting him in the arm.

"A-aww!" The guy winced in pain, which made him release Kace's arm.

She suddenly recognized the face of the guy who was wearing a hoodie with a cast on his arm. 

"L-Luke?" She asked wide-eyed.

He wasn't able to answer because of the pain he acquired on his casted arm. He continued to grimace in pain as Kace moved closer to her.

"S-sorry. I... didn't mean to... I didn't know it was you," she said anxiously. She was trying to limit her words because it's the first time he talked to her again. And she told herself to avoid him to give him time to reunite with Sophie.

He gazed down the ground to avoid her eyes, as he managed to say, "I just... want to see you get home safely." He was embarrassed saying it to her like that, but it was the truth. He just couldn't afford to see her get hurt again.

She was taken aback after hearing his words. The butterflies inside her stomach started to build up and her heart was skipping a beat every second. It was strange for her to feel this kind of thing and it scared her because she only felt it whenever Luke does something like this.

She blinked a few times trying to recover from what she was feeling inside her. "Uh L-Luke? W-what are you doing here?"

"I was just... Uh... I saw you here so I came." He stuttered at his words, as he tried to stand up straight.

"I... think I should go ahead." She turned her back at him, not wanting to say more because at that moment, she could really feel her heart about to jump out from her system.

Luke quickly grabbed her in the arm to stop her from walking away. "Kace... are you avoiding me?" he asked, tightening his grip on hers.

She looked up to face him. "Are you?" She returned his question back.

He took a step closer to her and this time, he didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her. "Kace... I was trying to avoid you because... it was my fault you got hurt. I don't want that to happen to you again. I thought it was better off to stay away."

She was frozen in his arms that she wasn't able to think properly and respond to his words. She was too caught up in the moment but she felt good hearing those from him. His warm hug was slowly melting her that she didn't want him to let go of her anymore.

He closed his eyes not wanting to release her from his arms. He has been wanting to do this ever since the day he saw her in the hospital. If only he didn't get wasted that night, she wouldn't be enduring the pain she got from that bastard. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to save you that night Kace. I'm really sorry...." he whispered to her ear.

"I... wasn't the one who saved you Luke. It was Theo and Alex." She answered as he slowly released her from her hug.

"N-no. But you were the first one who came and risked your life for me. I owe you my life," he muttered in a serious tone.