t h r e e

Emerson's POV:

I waited in the carpool line as the teachers helped the children to their cars. When I pulled up and got out of the car, Marlowe jumped up. Ms. Michaels walked her over to me as she hugged me tightly. "How'd she do?" I asked her. "She was very shy at first but she eventually warmed up to everyone." She smiled as I grabbed Marlowe's bookbag from her. "See you tomorrow." Ms. Michaels signed to her and Marlowe waved bye. I put her in the car and I drove off.

I fixed Marlowe a bowl of our dinner and a piece of garlic bread before walking with both of our bowls to the table. I put hers in front of her before sitting beside her. She started eating and I did too. The only noise was the TV that was still on in the living room. Sometimes I wish Marlowe could talk. Even though she can it's harder for her because she's deaf. Times like this when it's just the two of us, I wish she could hear.

I hummed softly as I brushed Marlowe's damp hair. She had her back against my chest and I hear her giggle. I smiled at the little sound. She rarely laughs, only when Justin, Dodger, or I do something funny, and when she does it's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. "Does it tickle?" I signed and she nodded. After brushing her hair, I braided it and tied the end with a rubber band.

We stood up and she grabbed my hand before we went to her room. I laid on her bed and watched as she grabbed a book and laid beside me. I read the book to her and carefully took off her hearing aids when I finished. "Goodnight sweetheart." I signed. "Goodnight mommy, I love you." She signed back. I smiled and kissed her forehead as she grabbed her bear. I turned on her nightlight and turned off her lamp before closing her door.