t h i r t y n i n e

Emerson's POV:

The doctors and nurses took Mila to get her newborn screening after they delivered breakfast. "Do you think there's a chance she can be deaf too?" Justin asked. I shrugged. "Maybe, deafness can be genetic." Even though I've done this before, there's nervousness in the back of my mind. I just hope everything goes well.

Fifteen minutes later, Mila was brought back into my room. They said that the results of the hearing test were out of the normal range. They said that they would talk to our audiologist for a follow up. She was squirming around in the bassinet and had spit out her pacifier. "She's hungry." I cooed and picked her up. I held her close as she latched and started eating. I looked down at her and smiled softly, admiring every little feature on her tiny face. "I love you so much." I whispered to her.

Justin's family came to visit us today. "Hey." I smiled up at his mom as she hugged me. "You look great." She said. I blushed. "Thanks." I think it was because I had a natural birth but I feel better than I did when I had Marlowe. "Do you know when you're going home?" She asked. "This evening." She nodded and looked over at Mila while she was sleeping in her bassinet.

I put on the gown set that I bought on Mila and tied the end. "You're going home." I cooed and carefully put her in the car seat. I made sure the seatbelt was secured before Justin came in with a cart. "Do you want to hold her?" I asked, standing up.

He nodded and covered her car seat with a black and white striped car seat cover. I grabbed our bags and put the flowers I got on the cart. "Ready to go?" He asked and I nodded before we left the room.

I sat in the backseat with Mila. She was sucking on her pacifier with her tiny fists balled up. "We're doing this." Justin turned to smile at me. "I know, this is so crazy." I smiled back. He took a deep breath and turned the car on. He started to drive slowly back to our house. I can't believe I had our baby a day ago; now our family is complete.

A/N: and that's the end! Thank you so much for all of the love on this story. I will be writing a sequel; it's going to be called Deaf Out Loud and it should be up in a few months. I'll post on this story whenever it's up. I love you guys❤️