1.3

Following the scent of cooking food, I arrived at a large room. People were seated around a big round table. Chattering and laughter filled my ears. The atmosphere was friendly enough that I took a deep breath, and decided to join the table.

I sat down in the only empty seat, right between JJ and Jun. I glanced at JJ, raising my eyebrows. JJ grinned and mouthed, thank me later.

I love that guy.

As soon as I sat, people turned towards me. Probably expecting an introduction. Which I suck at. Great.

"Umm." I looked at JJ. He gave me a thumbs up. Thanks for the moral support, I think to myself, rolling my eyes mentally. "Umm, hello everybody. Nice to meet you."

They kept on staring. I gulped. I was so not good at this. Presentations and speeches were never my thing. I avoided them.

I opened my mouth. "I... Uhh... I'm here because..." Damn it damn it I'm getting stage fright and I'm not even on a stage. Say something!

"Yijae generously decided to invite her to our family dinner." A voice to my right. "Her name is Yenling."

Jun. I looked at him, surprised.

He smiled at me sympathetically. I guess he knew this feeling.

And I should probably say thank you. I turned to Jun,  but he was already talking to someone else.

I sat down. Maybe I will have time to thank him later. Maybe.

Plates of food was brought to the table. Steamed fish, Ma Po tofu, sweet and sour pork, Gong Pao Chicken... There were so many varieties of food. I clicked my chopsticks. "Thank you for the meal!" I trilled, and dug in.

There were at least 30 adults crowded around the table. Seven more kids sat on the floor, eating from a small table. JJ sure has a big family. As I stuffed more of the delicious cooking in my mouth, the grandmother spoke up.

"YiJae," she said in a raspy tone. "I missed you. How was school?"

"Okay," JJ said, mouth full of food. "And I missed you too, Amah."

A middle aged woman sitting next to JJ nudged him. "Don't speak with your mouthful, especially to your Amah." She said sternly. She must be his mom.

The grandmother smiled, wrinkles on her face deepening. "That's okay. I'm happy as long as my little YiJae is here with me." She turned to Jun, who was also busy eating. "JunHui, Baobei, how was Korea?"

"Great." He mumbled. "The guys and I had a great time with our new music video." He looked across at JJ. "You had better check it out, little cousin of mine."

JJ glared at him. "I ain't little anymore."

"But you're 10 centimeters shorter than me," Jun teased.

"You-"

"Boys." JJ's mother said sternly, interrupting their bickering.

I stared down at my half empty bowl of rice. I sort of wished I could be that close to Jun like JJ. Oops, there goes my stalker thoughts again.

A little five-year-old kid ran past me, accidentally kicking the legs of my chair. It tilted. I dropped my chopsticks and tried to regain balance. "JJ, lend me a han-"