Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

I woke up on November fourth by Melinda jumping onto my bed and saying happy birthday to me. Yes, it was now my birthday and I was now sixteen and all I wanted was for Max’s name to be uncalled from the Tournament. I faked a smile as I sat up and she hugged me. Our roommates were still asleep and I saw the clock said four a.m. I sighed and looked back at her.

“Bloody hell, Mel. You couldn’t wait until the alarm went off?” I asked.

“No. This is a good day.” She cheered and wrapped her arms around me. “You’re sixteen!”

“Blimey, Melinda, can it. Some of us are trying to get some sleep.” Rebecca complained and covered her head with her pillow.

“Come on. Let’s get dressed and leave so we don’t bother them.” I said and we both got up. 

After we got our robes on, we went down to the common room and found Max asleep on the couch. He had a book of beasts by him and a letter in his hand. I smiled as I sat on the table by him and touched his arm. He quickly opened his eyes and he looked at me. I laughed softly and said, “Good morning.”

“Morning?” He asked and sat up. “It’s morning already?”

I nodded. “It’s four fifteen. Why did you fall asleep out here?”

“Well, I was reading about trolls and then got a letter from Harry and just fell asleep between reading both of them.”

“What did Harry say?”

“He just gave some advice about going through tasks and how to stay alive.” He stretched then smiled. “Happy birthday.”

I smiled. “Thanks.”

“Remind me to never be around when it’s only you to up.” Melinda said and we looked up at her. “You guys sure know how to make someone feel like a third wheel.”

“Sorry Mel.” Max said and stood up. “You can have her back. I’m gonna change into my robes.” He grabbed his book and shoved his letter in his pocket then looked down at me. “Don’t do anything tonight. Just come straight here after dinner.”

I smiled. “There’s gonna be a party, isn’t there?”

He shrugged. “Guess you’ll have to come and find out.” He walked up the stairs to his dorm.

I looked at Melinda. “Who planned the party?”

“Me and Max.” She said as she sat on the couch. “It was his idea though. I had to remind him it was Fred’s birthday as well.”

I laughed. “I can’t believe he planned a party with the Tournament stuff he’s been doing.” My smile faded as I thought about it. “The first task is only twenty days away and he still doesn’t know what the task is.”

“He’ll figure it out and he’ll be fine. You should know that more than anyone that he’s a strong person.”

“Yeah but I can’t help but worry.”

“Because you love him.”

I glared at her. “Watch what you’re saying. You don’t know who could be listening in.”

She rolled her eyes. “But you should tell him. He could feel the same way.”

“Or he couldn’t and we’d be awkward friends then not friend at all. That’s not a risk I’m willing to take.”

“But what if it’s not like that and he does like you too? You guys could be happy together.”

“And then he could die in the Tournament. That’d be great.”