The Second Task

The Second Task

            By Wednesday morning, I think Max, Darren, and the rest of us knew all we could possibly know about Kappas. We had been reading and rereading about them since I told them about the task and we told Valentina and Brad what the task was as well. Max had decided he was going to use the cucumber tactic where he had to write his name on a cucumber and the Kappa eats it and won’t attack him. It was simple, really, and Fred got the cucumbers from the kitchen for him. We went through other options too but mainly focused on the cucumbers.

            We were sitting with the rest of Gryffindor House that morning eating breakfast and talking about the task when Headmistress McGonagall stood at the table. We all became quiet and she looked down at me. “Miss Weasley, would you please come with me?” She asked.

            “Yes.” I said and stood up.

            I followed her and we went up to her office. There was two boys and another girl there and they looked at us. “Miss Weasley, join Mr. Carson, Mr. Martin, and Miss Meyer.” I nodded and sat down by the girl. McGonagall then looked at us and said, “You four are going to be a part of today’s task because you are the closest to the Champions.”

            “Like the second task that Uncle Harry went through?” I asked and she nodded.

            “Exactly like that.” She said. “And that’s why I’m sorry I have to do this.” She pulled out her wand. “Stupefy.”

            I opened my eyes to find that I was in a tube underwater by myself. Actually, there were two Kappas swimming around my tube. My heart started racing and I went to grab my wand but found that it was gone. I could hear cheering coming from above me and McGonagall’s voice said, “Mr. Meyer had successfully rescued his sibling as did Mr. Carson and Miss Martin. Last but not least is Mr. Reynolds!”

            A gun shot went off and I saw Max enter the water. He put a bubblehead charm around him so he could breathe and looked at me. Suddenly, the tube started filling with water slowly and I screamed. His eyes widened and he accidentally released all of the cucumbers. That made the Kappas go for him and I screamed, “Max!” He quickly swam away as they ate the cucumbers and he looked at me. “Why did you let go of them?!”

            “I was surprised to see you.” He told me. “I thought you were in the stands. I didn’t know you were a part of this. I just found out Darren and the others had to save their loved ones.”

            “Well you better do something! The Kappas are almost done and the water is up to my ankles now!”

            “I can’t remember what else there was!”

            I was about to say something when a silencing charm was placed on me and I knew this was the work of McGonagall. She probably had to so that Max could do this by himself. I watched him carefully and wished he’d remember the spells that actually worked on the Kappas. The water in the tube kept rising and Max kept barely getting away from the Japanese water demons. My heart pounded against my ears and I wished I could help him. Once the water was up to my stomach, I started to feel like Max was never going to remember the spells because he just kept swimming around. I groaned but of course it couldn’t be heard because of McGongagall’s spell. The water kept rising and rising and finally, it was up to my chin. I made eye contact with Max and I gave him a pleading look. The water kept coming and I was barely able to keep my mouth out of it to breath. I soon had to take my last breath and was completely underwater. Max looked at me and I moved my hand like I was casting a spell. I knew he was trying to remember one and I heard Fred yell something but couldn’t make out what. I was surprised I even picked his voice out of the many voices screaming from the stands. I started to feel weak just as Max casted spells towards the creatures and made them safe. He quickly unlocked the door to the tube and grabbed my hand.

            Max pulled me up to the surface and I gasped for air. Cheers came from the crowd and Max wrapped his arms around me before letting me go and pulling me towards the dock. Our families were waiting for us there and my mum smothered me into a huge hug before she wrapped a towel around me. “Thank God you’re alright, Princess.” She said.

            “I knew Max wouldn’t let me die.” I said and looked over at him.

            “I’m sorry for taking so long.” He apologized and held my hand. “I was scared for you and my mind went blank on everything we researched. If it wasn’t for Fred, we both would be dead right now.”

            “You can thank me later.” Fred said.

            “I understand, Max.” I touched his face. “I’m just glad we’re both here.”

            “Me too.” Max agreed. “I love you.”

            “I love you too.” We kissed.

            “Mr. Reynolds has successfully saved Miss Weasley but since he took longer, he has moved to third place. Congratulations to the Champions and good luck with the next task.” McGonagall said and the crowd cheered.

            “You two go dry off and we’ll see you in June for the last task.” My dad said and hugged me quickly. “I’m glad you two are together.” He whispered in my ear.

            “Me too.” I whispered and we parted.

            We all left and Max and I held hands all the way up to the Gryffindor common room. Our fellow Housemates cheered him as he came in and he smiled at all of them before we left the common room to go to our rooms. I quickly took a warm shower and got on dry clothes before I went back down to the common room to join the celebration. Max was sitting on the couch talking with some first years and I smiled as I stood behind him.

            “Were you scared?” A girl asked with wonder in her eyes.

            “Of course. Anyone would be scared with Kappas trying to kill them and the love of their life drowning in a tube. But I knew I had to be brave to save both of us. So when I heard Paige’s brother yell the spell, I used it as fast as I could and saved Paige’s life.” Max told her.

            “And she hasn’t properly thanked you.” I said and jumped over the couch to sit by him.

            He grinned at me and said, “No she hasn’t.” We brought our faces together and kissed passionately.

            “Ew.” The first years said and we laughed.

            “Get going.” Max said. “Go ask Fred how he remembered the spell.”

            They scurried off to bother my brother and I grinned at Max. “You just keep getting more popular with the first years.”

            “How about with you?” He rubbed my leg.

            “Who are you again?” I asked with a grin.

He rolled his eyes and kissed my lips again. “Were you worried at all?”

“Of course I was. I even thought you wouldn’t save me after a while and I’m sorry I doubted you.” I rubbed his arm.

            “Don’t be. I doubted myself after I let go of the cucumbers like a git.”

            I laughed. “Don’t beat yourself up about it. We’re both alive right now and that’s all that matters.” I kissed his lips. “I love you.”

            “I love you too.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked the chapter! Please comment and vote and CHECK OUT THE CONTEST!