Werewolves

Werewolves

I hadn’t talked to Max since the Hogsmeade trip despite his constant trying to get me to. I kept up my act with Darren, though, and Melinda finally came around to thinking it was good idea. Melinda was also forced to be mine and Max’s messenger along with Fred whenever Max wanted me to know something and if I had anything to say to him. They were getting tired of it even though it had been one day.

I woke up Monday morning from a dreamless sleep since I had uncharmed Max’s picture and got out of bed. Everyone but Lena was up and gone so I quickly got dresses and grabbed my books before going to the Great Hall. When I got here, the only spot open around my friends was right next to Max and I really didn’t want to sit by him but I had to. I plopped down on the bench and avoided contact with him as I started eating.

“Are you going to talk to me today?” He asked and I felt his gaze on me but I ignored it. He sighed and said, “The first task is tomorrow. Will you at least wish me good luck then?” I ignored him more and just kept eating. “This is bloody ridiculous.” He stood up and walked away.

“Are you ever gonna talk to him?” Melinda asked and I looked at her.

“Yeah but right now I’m not.” I answered.

“He was just looking out for you, Paige. He doesn’t know the truth so he’s worried you’ll get hurt.”

“He still should’ve acted supportive. I mean he’s doing the same thing with Prudence. Well, kind of.”

She sighed. “I hope I never have to go through what you are.”

“Why not? It’s so much fun.” I said sarcastically.

“What’s fun?” Darren asked as he sat down where Max was earlier.

I looked at him and smiled. “What we’re doing.” I told him and pecked his lips for show.

“Yes it is.” Darren smiled back.

“So Darren, have you figured out the task yet?” Fred asked.

“Not yet. I’m gonna skip classes today and do some digging. Hopefully either someone will slip up or I’ll find a solid clue.”

“And if you find something...” I started.

“Tell you and Max. I know.” He smiled. “I just hope I find out so I’m not surprised tomorrow.”

“Same here. But by the looks of it you won’t be the only one. Brad and Valentina look just as worried was you and Max.” Melinda said.

“Yeah. None of us is having luck with this.”

The bell rang and gave everyone warning there was a half hour until classes started. I sighed and looked at Darren. “Well, we have to go. Good luck today.”

“Thanks.”

            Classes went by quickly and soon it was lunch. I sighed as I plopped down by Melinda and I looked around because Max wasn’t there. Teddy was sitting across from me and I looked at him. “Where’s Max?” I asked.

            “He’s in the library.” Teddy said. “Valentina found out what the task was and told him and he’s been in the library since break.”

            “What’s the task?” I asked with full curiosity.

            “Werewolves. A pack of them.”

            My heart raced and I stood up. “I gotta go help him research.”

            “I thought you were mad at him.” Fred said.

            “There’s no time for that now.” I said and quickly left the Great Hall.

            “Paige!” Darren yelled as I ran into him outside the hall. I looked up at him and he said, “Where are you off to so fast?”

            “I have to see Max. He found out what the task is.”

            His eyes widened. “What is it?”

            “Werewolves. I have to go.” I ran from him and headed for the library.

            The second I entered the doors, I walked around frantically trying to find Max which caused a lot of attention on my part. I finally spotted him sitting in the spot I usually sat when I was trying to hide from everyone and I smiled. There was a stack of books by him and he was buried into one. I walked over to him and sat down. I grabbed a book as he looked at me and I flipped to a chapter about werewolves and started reading.

            “What are you doing?” He asked me curiously.

            “Helping you.” I looked at him and smiled.

            “I thought you were mad at me.”

            “And now I’m not. What have you read?”

            “How they turn. But it doesn’t make since that they’ll be in their form tomorrow since there isn’t a full moon. And it’s during the day.”

            “Maybe there’s a potion or spell.” I started looking through the book I had.

            “Paige?”

            “Yeah?” I asked and looked at him.

            “I’m glad you’re not mad anymore.”

            I smiled. “Me too.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's a short chapter! Next one will be longer I promise!