Kappas

Kappas

            Two days before the Tournament, no one knew what it was second task was and that was making everyone nervous. Well, everyone but the teachers. They of course knew what it was but couldn’t tell us. For the past week, Victoire, Teddy, Melinda, Fred, Darren, Max, and I had spent more and more time in the library researching everything we possibly could on water creatures. The teachers had cancelled classes for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so the Champions could prepare for the task and that’s exactly what the seven of us were doing. We were sitting at a large table and books were all over the table. We had been there all morning and I knew we were all tired.

            “That’s it.” Fred said and slammed his book closed. We all looked at him and he stood up. “I can’t read anymore. I’m going to go blind.”

            “You can’t go blind from reading, Fred.” Victoire told him.

            “Well I’m going to. This would be much easier if we just knew what the hell the task was.”

            “Well we don’t.” I said. “So we have to keep reading and help Max and Darren be prepared for whatever it is.”

            “No. I’m done.” He grabbed his backpack. “I’m going to go eat lunch then see if Louis wants me to teach him some Quidditch moves.” He walked away from us.

            I groaned and closed my book. Melinda did too and said, “I think we could all use a break.”

            “I agree.” Max said. “This isn’t gonna get us anywhere.”

            “But we have to do this.” I argued. “You have to be prepared.”

            “Love, I think this is as good as it’s going to get.” He held my hand. “Let’s go get some lunch and then we’ll go do something fun.”

            I sighed. “Ok. I’ll be down in a minute. I just want to put these books away. You guys can go ahead.”

            “Ok.” He kissed my head. “I love you.”

            “I love you too.” I smiled at him and they all got their things and left me there.

            I put the books away then grabbed my things before I headed down to the Great Hall. As I walked down to the entrance hall, I heard voices talking and I hid behind the wall. I recognized one voice to be Headmistress McGonagall’s and she sounded secretive. “Hagrid, have the Kappas arrived yet?” She asked quietly; but in an empty entrance hall, it echoed so I could hear.

            “Yes. They arrived this mornin’.” Hagrid answered.

            “Good. Now make sure the students don’t find them. No one knows that the task is Kappas and they don’t need to know by find them.”

            “Ok.”

            I heard them walk away and then I walked into the hall. So the task was Kappas. I remember reading about them. They are a Japanese water demon that resembles a monkey covered in scales with webbed hands and a water filled depression on top of their heads that is the source of their strength. They live in shallow water and… what was it that they prey on? I tried to remember what it could possibly be and then I remembered. Blood. Human blood. They strangled anyone they could to get it. My heart started racing and I began to worry for Max. I ran to the Great Hall and went straight towards the guys. Max looked up at me and he knew something was wrong instantly.

            “Paige, what happened?” He asked quickly and stood up.

            “Kappas.” I said quietly so Headmistress McGonagall wouldn’t hear me. “The task is Kappas.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next chapter is the second task! Do you think Max will pass? Please comment and vote and CHECK OUT THE CONTEST!