The Triwizard Champions

I was sitting in the Great Hall with everyone else; watching McGonagall get the names of the Triwizard Champions out of the Goblet of Fire. She had already called out the ones from the other schools and all that was left was the Hogwarts Champion. My heart ached and my head was repeating “Not Max” over and over again. I just watched McGonagall and the paper flew out of the Goblet. She looked at whose name was written on it and looked over at our table.

“Max Reynolds.” She said and our table started cheering while I fell into shock.

No. It couldn’t be Max. I looked over at him and he looked at me. He smiled to try to relax me and he stood up. Our fellow Gryffindors congratulated him and shook his hand. No one noticed the tears that were now rolling down my cheeks. No one saw the fear in my eyes. They just continued congratulating Max.

I took a deep breath as I woke up and was relieved that it was just a dream. But there was still a taste of reality in it and I couldn’t shake it away. I started praying then that Max wouldn’t get called and just lied on my bed for a half hour before getting up when I heard Melinda get up. I faked a smiled to not let her see that I was worried and we went about our morning routine. After we both were done, we went down to the Great Hall and joined everyone for breakfast. And I mean everyone. The other schools were there as well and I sat between Darren and Max at our table. The Hall was filled with talking and some kids were putting their names into the Goblet.

“Good morning, Paige.” Darren said happily and I smiled at him.

“Good morning.” I said back.

“Paige, what’s wrong?” Max asked and I looked over at him. Bloody hell I knew he could read me like a book but I thought we’d be halfway through breakfast before he asked that question.

“Nothing’s wrong.” I lied but knew he’d see through it. “Just had a bad dream, that’s all.” I smiled to make it look like I was fine.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“No. It’s nothing to be concerned about. Bad dreams happen to everyone.”

“That they do.” Darren said and I looked back over at him. “I once had a dream where I was trapped in a cage with a bear without my wand. It ate me alive and I watched the whole thing. I’ve been afraid of them ever since.”

“That’s an odd thing to dream about.” I said. “But I know what you mean.” I really did. Dreaming of something and being afraid it could happen. Story of my life right now. “Anyways, what do you have planned today?” I really wanted to be my mind off tonight and didn’t want to be around Max because I knew he’d get me to tell him about my dream so I was hoping Darren didn’t have anything planned.

“Nothing. I was gonna look around Hogwarts. See what’s what.”

I grinned. “Well, why don’t I show you around? Give you the grand tour.”

He smiled. “Sounds good.”

After breakfast and dodging questions from Max, Darren and I parted from everyone and we started walking around Hogwarts. I was pointing things out here and there but then we just walked in silence. My mind started thinking about the dream and I felt the tears in my eyes. We were walking through the Transfiguration Courtyard and there were others walking around.

“Alright, what did you dream about?” Darren asked and I looked at him with shock.

“What?” I asked him.

“It must be something if it’s bothering you right now. I have the ability to read people.” He smiled. “So what is it?”

I sighed. “Fine. I’ll tell you. But only because I don’t want anyone else to know and I have a feeling you won’t tell them. Am I right on this feeling?”