Telling Paige

Telling Paige

Max’s POV

            I was standing in the Gryffindor common room talking to Teddy as I waited for Prudence to come down so we could get going to the Yule Ball. She was taking forever and I just wanted to go and get this stupid night over with. If I wasn’t a bloody Triwizard Champion, I wouldn’t even be going. Well, unless Paige was my date. I mentally punched myself for the millionth time that night and yelling at myself that I should’ve asked Paige. I loved her more than anything else in the world and I was stupid to ask Prudence. But Paige probably would’ve said no since she’s been mad at me for no reason lately. I hated that she was doing this and wouldn’t tell me what I did to make her so mad. That’s all I could think about.

            I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and I looked to see if it was Prudence. It wasn’t. Paige and Melinda stood there with their roommates and my heart stopped when I saw Paige. With just one look, I forgot what was going on. Time just stopped and everyone but the two of us disappeared. Our eyes met and I bit my lip. Now I really regretted not asking her.

            The girls finished walking down the stairs and came over to Teddy and I. “You girls look great.” Teddy commented.

            “Thanks.” Melinda smiled. I kept my gaze on Paige and tried to think of something to say to her but my mind was jumbled and my heart raced. “What do you think, Fred?”

            “You look amazing.” Fred said. “Just… wow.”

            “Thanks. Shall we go?”

            “We shall.”

            I opened my mouth to say something but Paige walked away with her brother and Melinda. I sighed as I watched them leave the common room and soon Teddy left too. I stood there waiting for Prudence and watched couple after couple leave the common room. What the hell was taking Prudence so long? After another ten minutes, she finally appeared and I whisked her out of the common room before she could even ask me how I thought she looked. She looked fine in her dress but nothing could compare to Paige.

            When we got to the Entrance Hall, Professor Jordan pulled us to the line that had the other Champions and their dates before she ushered the other students inside the Great Hall. Prudence and I stood directly behind Paige and Darren and I glared at Darren. I really didn’t see what Paige could possibly like in him. He was trying way too hard for her to like him and he was annoying. I hated him.

            I had to stop thinking about how much I hated Darren when Professor Jordan had us all go into the Great Hall at exactly nine. Every eye was on us as we walked in and went to the dance floor to do the stupid traditional dance. The music started and we started dancing. I was completely off the whole time since I barely had any practice of this dance and I saw Prudence was getting mad at me. I glance over at Darren and Paige and found them doing it perfectly. I rolled my eyes and looked back at Prudence.

            The dance finally ended and the other Champions, our dates, and I were escorted to the Champion table and a feast appeared on every table. I was sitting right between Prudence and Paige and couldn’t help but look at Paige. She, of course, was ignoring me by watching Ed Sheeran set up for his performance. I sighed and picked at the food that was on my plate. Ed came over to our table once he was done and introduced himself to us. He said he was grateful to be playing for us since he had attended Hogwarts too and soon had to leave to start playing.

            Practically everyone was dancing to Ed’s music but a few people and I was one of them. Prudence went off with her friends and I just stood by the wall and watched everyone else. Paige was having fun dancing with Darren, Victoire, Melinda, and Minnie and I kept my eyes on her. I wished I could just go over there and kiss her but her and Darren would get mad and there’d be a fight and McGonagall would expel me. I groaned and saw Valentina walking over to me.

            “’i Max.” She said as she stood in front of me and smiled.

            “Hi, Valentina.” I said. “Having fun?”

            She nodded. “Yes. I would ask you ze same zing but I know you’re not.”

            I creased my eyebrows and looked at her. “What do you mean?”

            “You wish you were wiz Paige. I can see you love ‘er.”

            She could? I thought I could hide it well. I mean, Teddy was the only one to know but if Valentina could see that I loved Paige, who else did? I sighed. “Yeah. But I can’t do anything about it.”

            “I doubt zat. You need to talk to ‘er. I zink you’ll boz be surprised by what you’ll find out.” She smiled again before walking away.

            I creased my eyebrows as I watched her walk away then I looked at Paige. She was now slow dancing with Darren to Ed’s song “Kiss Me”. I guess now would be as good of a time as any to listen to Valentina so I walked over to Paige and pulled her out of the Great Hall.”

            “Max, what the hell are you doing?” She asked angrily but I didn’t answer.

            Once we got out into the Entrance Hall, I looked down at her and said, “I’m sick of this, Paige. I can’t stand that you’re not talking to me. What did I do?”

            “It doesn’t matter now.” She answered. “Just forget about it.”

            “I’m not going to forget about it. I want to know and I’m not going to let you go until you tell me.”

            “And what’s Prudence gonna say about that? She is your date after all.”

            I rolled my eyes. “I don’t care what she thinks about this. I’m going to wait until you tell me what’s wrong.”

            She groaned and said, “Fine. I’m mad because you didn’t ask me to the ball because I love you.”

            My heart jumped. Did she just say that she loves me? “You love me?” I asked to make sure.

            She rolled her eyes. “No. I lied. Yes I bloody love you. I have for a long time now. That’s why I’m ignoring you. Do you know how hard it is to see you with Prudence?”

            “Probably about how seeing you with Darren feels.” I touched her arm and looked deep into her eyes. “I love you too, Paige. I’m not sure when I realized it but I know I have had a crush on you for years. I wanted to ask you but I thought you’d turn me down because you wouldn’t feel the same.”

            Her eyes looked shocked. “Are you serious? Please say you are because I can’t handle it if you’re just messing with me.”

            I laughed. “I’m serious, Paige.” I touched her face. “I love you.” She grinned and came up to kiss my lips. Time stopped once again that night and I kissed her back happily until we parted for air.

            “Wow. I’ve been waiting forever for that.” She grinned.

            “Me too.” I smiled back and pecked her lips again. “Let’s go back to the dance.”

            “Ok.” She held my hand and we started walking back.

            She laughed right before we went into the Great Hall and I asked, “What’s funny?”

            She grinned and said, “Just that you could take down werewolves perfectly fine but you couldn’t ask me out.” She laughed again.

            “Shut up.” I laughed and kissed her head. “You look beautiful by the way.”

            “Thank you.” She smiled and we went back to the ball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I couldn't think of anything to write for what I originally had planned so I decided to just do the Yule Ball chapter in Max's POV. I quite like it too. Please comment and vote! CHECK OUT THE CONTEST!