A Day of Tears

A Day of Tears

            Nothing really exciting happened since Easter. Max and I were still hot and heavy whenever we could be; which annoyed our friends. I had been trying to figure out what the next task was even though Max said I should wait for someone to tell him. I couldn’t though. His life was being risked one last time and I was gonna do everything I could to make sure he survived. And that’s why I woke up with my head in a book on Friday May twenty-seventh. Melinda was laughed as grabbed her wand from the nightstand and she crossed her arms.

            “You have to stop falling asleep on books. You’re going to get them permanently imprinted to your face.” She said as I sat up.

            “Good. Maybe something will actually stick.” I yawned.

            “Max isn’t gonna like it that you fell asleep researching again.” Melinda told me.

            “Well what he doesn’t know won’t kill him.” I stood up. “Don’t tell him please. I don’t need another lecture on how I should wait until he hears something.”

            “I won’t tell him. But you really need to relax about this. The task isn’t for a month and there’s plenty of time for him to research whatever it is.”

            I rolled my eyes as I got on a skirt and a tank top. “Everyone needs to stop tell me that. I’m not doing any harm by researching.”

            “We just want you to have fun. Max and Teddy have a month left at Hogwarts and they want to hang out with you outside the library. Especially Max.”

            I sighed. “Do you know if he’s mad?” I looked at her.

            “He’s not. He just wants you happy.”

            “I won’t be happy until this school year is over and Max is alive.”

            “I’m going to be fine, Paige.” Max’s voice came from the door and I looked at him.

            Melinda took that as her cue to leave and she closed the door after her. “There’s still a risk no matter what you tell me. You don’t even know what the task is. What if they throw you into a cage with a basilisk?”

            “Then I won’t look into its eyes and kill it like Harry did in his second year.” He grinned.

            “This isn’t a funny matter.”

            He sighed and came over to me. “Love, you have to stop worrying about this. Please.” He held my hand. “Let’s go return these books, eat breakfast, then you can watch me play Quidditch.” He kissed my lips.

            I smiled. “Fine.”

            After we ate and I watched Max play Quidditch, we went to our secret spot and Max instantly started kissing my neck. I sighed and said, “I wonder when you’ll find out what the task is.”

            His lips left my skin before he groaned and put his head on my shoulder. He then looked into my eyes and said, “Really? I kiss your neck and you start talking about that again?”

            I rolled my eyes. “Sorry if I want to actually talk to you. All we’ve done lately is make out or more. We haven’t actually talked in weeks.”

            “That’s because we already know everything about each other.” He started kissing my neck again.

            “We used to talk about nothing but since we started dating, we only make out when we don’t have anything really important to say.” I pushed him away. “Please, Max. Let’s just talk.”

            He nodded and said, “Ok. We’ll talk.” He held my hand. “Do you want to talk about the task?”

            I shook my head. “No. I was just trying to talk earlier.” I sighed and shook my head again.

            “Paige, what’s wrong?” He asked curiously. “I know you’re worried about the task but there’s something else.”

            He was right. There was something else. After Melinda said he had only had a month left at Hogwarts, that’s all I could think about. He wasn’t going to be here for my sixth and seventh year. What would we do then? Were we going to break up? All these things were going through my mind and the tears built up in them. I looked up at him and said, “I don’t want us to break up.”

            His eyes widened. “What? Who said we were breaking up?”

            “Well what else are we going to do? You’re going to be gone and I’m gonna be here and we’ll never see each other.”

            He sighed and wiped the tears that were running down my cheek away. “Paige Katherine Weasley, how dare you think we’d break up for such a rubbish reason? We can write letters to each other and see each other on Hogsmeade trips and holidays and we can even buy those Muggle cell phones so we can talk to each other whenever. We’ll do whatever we can to make it work.”

            I sniffled. “Really?”

            He nodded. “Of course. I love you and I don’t want us to lose what we have. No matter what, we’ll make this work.”

            “I love you too.” I kissed his lips.

            We spent the rest of the day there talking about nothing but once it was time for dinner, we left because we were both starving. McGonagall came and got Max and Darren after they were done eating. I saw Brad and Valentina go with them and I knew it was about the task. I could tell Fred, Melinda, and Teddy knew it too by the looks they were giving each other and me. I went up to the common room after dinner and waited for Max. It had been at least an hour since he had gone with McGonagall and I was getting impatient. He still wasn’t back by the time people started going to bed but I still sat there. I wasn’t going to wait until the morning to talk to him. I was the only one in the common room when he finally came through the door and he looked at me.

            “I figured you’d be in bed.” He said and sat down by me.

            I shook my head. “I wanted to talk to you.” He held my hand and I took a deep breath. “It was about the task, wasn’t it?”

            He avoided my eyes. “No. We all just talked.”

            “Don’t lie. Just tell me.”

            He finally met my gaze and said, “I don’t want you to worry.”

            “I’m going to worry either way so it’s better to just tell me. I’ll find out from Darren anyways.”

            He sighed. “It’s a maze just like the one Harry had to go through when he was Champion but worse.” My eyes widened with fear and he rubbed my hand. “They’re adding more creatures and whatever else into it. McGonagall said the Ministry decided it.”

            “So… you’re life…” I took a deep breath.

            “Paige, please calm down. I’m going to be fine.”

            “Stop saying that. I don’t want to hear that you’re going to be fine anymore. This is dangerous. This doesn’t make researching any easier.”

            “That’s probably why they picked it.” He kissed my cheek. “Just don’t worry about it right now. Let’s go to our rooms and we’ll talk in the morning.”

            I shook my head. “I won’t be able to sleep.” I leaned my head on his shoulder. “Stay with me here.”

            “Ok.” He said and kissed my head.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more chapter before it's over. But there's the sequel to look forward to and a threequel too. Please comment and vote and please check out the one shot contest!