The Last Task

The Last Task

Paige’s POV

            My worry for Max didn’t calm down in the month we had to wait for the third task to come. My worry never went down since I didn’t even know what to research and Max tried to get me to be optimistic. That was gene I obviously didn’t inherit. I had nightmares of Max dying in the maze which caused me to wake up screaming. Melinda set up silencing charms around my bed so I would stop waking her and our roommates up. But that’s how I woke up on the morning of June twenty-fourth. My body was covered in a cold sweat and I felt exhausted. The clock on my nightstand said it was five in the morning so I just decided to stay awake. If I had fallen asleep, I would just have another nightmare anyways. I got dressed then left to go down to the common room.

            I saw Max sitting on the couch in the common room and sighed as I made my way to sit by him. He looked at me curiously and I held his hand. “Can’t sleep?” He asked me.

            “Nightmares again.” I answered and looked at him. “You?”

            “Same.” He sighed. “You gave me yours.”

            I smiled for a brief second then rested my head on his shoulder. “In five hours you go to risk your life again.”

            “I know.” He rubbed my hand.

            “In six you might be dead.”

            He had me look at him and said, “Don’t say that.”

            “Why? It’s the truth.”

            “I don’t want you thinking about it.”

            “What else am I supposed to think about?”

            He put his forehead to mine. “How much I love you.” He kissed my lips. “How much you love me.”

            “That just makes me think of how I might lose you today.” Tears filled my eyes.

            “Don’t cry. I don’t want to see you cry until after I get the cup and you’re crying happy tears.” I forced the tears back and he rubbed my face. “I want to think of you like this. It’ll be the only thing to get me through the task.”

            I took a deep breath. “Let’s go get some breakfast. You’re gonna need strength for today.”

            “Ok.” He took my hand and we left the common room.

            It was time to go watch the task before I knew it and I walked down with Victoire, Melinda, Fred, and Teddy. Max and Darren had to go earlier than us to get ready and Max and I kissed for a good five minutes before he left. We made our way to the stands where our families were already and I hugged my parents and held Marisa since she wanted me. McGonagall soon called the Champions out and I just stared at Max. He smiled at  me then McGonagall talked before letting the Champions into the maze.

Max’s POV

            I didn’t know where I was supposed to go. I was tired and sore from fighting an obviously cursed Valentina. That wasn’t the only thing I had to do in this maze. I just wanted to get the cup and kiss Paige. Hell, even if I didn’t get the cup I wanted to kiss her. As long as I made it through this, I’d be happy and so would she. That’s all that mattered right now. According to my watch, it was now midnight and that meant I had been out there for more than twelve hours. I sighed and knew I was never going to get out of there. It was pointless. One of the others probably found the cup and I was the only one left. I was a loser. I turned another corner and Paige appeared in front of me. She was clutching her chest and fell to her knees.

            My eyes widened and I went to her. “Paige! What’s wrong? What are you doing here?”

            “I’m… dying…” She coughed and blood came up.

            “What? No. Paige, you’re going to be fine.” I held her to me. “I’m going to heal you with my wand.” I pointed it to her and said, “Vulnera Sanentur.” Nothing happened and I did it again. “Vulnera Sanentur!”

            She took a deep, raspy breath and said, “Max, I love you. Don’t ever forget that.”

            “I won’t because you’re gonna tell me every day.” Tears filled my eyes and I rubbed her face. “You’re going to be fine.” She started to close her eyes. “No! You stay awake!” I yelled and kissed her lips. When I looked back at her face, her eyes were closed and her face was paler than it normally was. I broke down and held her tightly as I cried.

            “Max!” Paige’s voice yelled and I looked back at her face. She was still dead but she started to disappear. I stood up quickly as her body went into a chest and I knew what it was. A boggart. “Max!” Paige’s voice yelled again and he turned around. Right in front of him was a pathway straight towards the Triwizard Cup and he grinned.

Paige’s POV

            I sat there in the stands tapping my fingers against the chair and tears rolled down my face. Where was Max? Everyone else was back now and none of them had the cup. Valentina was cursed and was sent straight to St. Mungo’s while Darren was only injured enough to go to the hospital wing and Brad was dead. The cup still had to be found and since Max wasn’t hear dead or alive, that had to mean he was alive, right? Unless he was eaten by a monster inside. But wouldn’t the Ministry or someone know if that had happened? God I just wished he’d turn up.

            As I wished that, there was a flash of light and Max appeared outside the maze with the cup. Music started playing and people started clapping and I pushed my way through the crowd. He was alive and he won. A grin crossed my face and I ran to him as fast as I could through the crowd. McGonagall announced that he won as I threw myself on him and he hugged me tight. He then kissed my lips passionately and both of us were crying.

            “I love you so much.” He said as he hugged me again.

            “I love you too.” I hugged him tightly.

            “I’m sorry it took me so long.” He kissed my cheek. “I never want to lose you, ok? Never.”

            I wasn’t sure what he was talking about but I nodded. “You won’t, Max. You will never lose me.” I kissed him again and we hugged for the third time. “You never will.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last chapter! Hope you like it! You'll have to wait about a week for the second book to be up since I'm gonna work on other stories now but check out the contest!

🎉 You've finished reading Friendship on Fire (A Harry Potter Next Generation/Heart Scar series book) 🎉