Chapter One

Tolerance and patience are good traits to have in a world that is as rapidly changing as our own, and ideally, I like to think I possess both of these which many people who argue I do. However, there are a few insufferable people who spark my instant dislike and know exactly what nerves to hit to make me pissed off. These people, you may ask... boys.

I'm not entirely delusional as to blame the stupidity of some males on their whole gender however, my friends and I are yet to meet more than about three boys whose only goal isn't to get in your pants. And yes; I do mean that quite literally.

To further prove my point on the pig-headed boy dilemma, I was sat in my English classroom in the exact seat as always when my leg brushed by something beneath my desk. I leant down to get a clearer view beneath the dark desk and was immediately met by the amount of used gum some brainless idiots decided needed a new home. Gross.

Regardless of my initial disgust, I noticed a yellow note stuck between all the germ collectors. Out of pure instinct, I reached for the note and read it's contents:

'Write back if you're hot!'

I couldn't believe the audacity of any one human being. I was far from a feminist, however I was a strong believer in positive self image and self confidence. It's reality to know that everyone's first impression is based off their looks, however that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Feeling anger stir through my stomach was a foreign feeling, however, it gave me the adrenaline to write back:

'You know not all females are, as you say, 'hot,' there is this new thing called personality; perhaps you should try and find one. BTW, you shouldn't put your hand under the desk even if it's to put a sticky note there, it's unhygienic and people could think you're doing something a little more... private'

Nothing tames a guy more than a damaged ego.

"Hey, Mel? You alright?" One of my two best friends, Annie, asked as she turned towards me.

I shook my head clear of my thoughts towards the note before answering, "Yeah Annie, I was just thinking about how stupid boy can be." My usual voice croaked at the dryness that had settle upon it like at this time in the afternoon on any other day.

She laughed at this, "Aren't you always?"

I nodded my head shyly. It was true. The majority of my time was spent wondering why I even bother having boys in my life. There are only three guys I like in the entire world; my dad, my little brother Sam and my guy best friend, Josh, but even they have their moments when they piss me off.

The bell rang at that moment, interrupting my slight loss of thought. Packing our books away, Annie and I rushed for the door with a pile of other pupils and began our way down the hall, preparing for the class to come.

The dreaded maths.

"Where's Chelsea? She supposed to meet us here." Annie tilted her head at the odd occurrence. Our other friend had a tendency to be anything but punctual, so realistically, he absence shouldn't have come as much of a shock.

As if on cue, a high pitched voice squealed it's way through the corridor, "Excuse me! Coming though! Move people!" Chelsea shooed people with hand gestures as she shoved through the students crowding around; it was actually rather comical.

"Does that answer your question?" I asked, pointing at the approaching girl. Annie shook her head and chuckled a little at the common behaviour our friend was exhibiting. Aside from her obvious tendency to be late, our friend did prove to have one other notable quirk...

"Aah!" She tripped over and her books went flying...again. You guessed it, she is, how should I put this... accident-prone.

We both rushed over to help her as it appeared that no one else had the decency to do anything but step over her, but after the thirtieth time, I could assume it gets a little old for them. Chelsea rubbed her head as we gathered her books up in our arms, not wanting to risk another issue if she were to bend down and get them herself.