Chapter Seventeen

It had been two days since my birthday.

I somehow remember getting home but I went straight to my room and spent the entire weekend locked up there staring at the note.

How could Ashton have left me a note?

"Mel," A knock came from my bedroom door and Sheryl slowly entered. She had stayed true to her promise and was staying here, taking care of the triplets.

I looked up at her but made no other contact.

"Have you read it yet?" She asked, gesturing to the note that lay on my desk.

"No."

She sighed and sat down next to me on my bed. "Why not?"

I hesitated for a moment, "I'm just not ready." It's not a lie but it's not the whole truth either.

"I understand how your feeling and I'm not going to pressure you to read it."

"Really?"

She nodded, "I know you'll read it when the time is right." I let out a small smile while she checked her watch. "Anyway, it's time you got up."

"Why?"

"You have school."

It's Monday? When did that happen.

"About eight hours ago." Sheryl answered my unspoken question.

Wait; did I say that out loud.

"Yes."

Damn it.

"I heard that too!" She called back at me as she left my room.

I sighed and decided to get ready. The note will still be there when I get home. Who knows, I might even open it.

A horn sounded from downstairs causing me to groan.

I ran around my room and threw on the first hoodie and jeans my hands made contact with.

The horn sounded again and slowly became quicker before it was all I could hear.

"You'll wake the freaking neighbours!" I yelled at Chelsea when I finally managed to get into her car.

"Why do I care?" She asked as she started off down the road. Ah, there that selflessness I know and love.

I rolled my eyes. "Are we going to get Annie?" I asked.

She shook her head, "Apparently there's a family emergency so she can't come today."

That doesn't sound good.

Chelsea must have noticed the looked on my face because she sighed and nodded. "She'll be fine."

I bit my lip and nodded along with her.

She'll be fine. She's going to be fine.

A dinging sound vibrated through the car causing me to jump in fright.

"What was that?" I asked, alarmed.

"I think it was your phone," Chelsea stated.

I let out a little 'oh' at my stupidity and took my phone from my pocket.

"Your such a genius Mel," Chelsea said sarcastically.

I shrugged, "I get called that a lot."

"What, genius?" She wondered.

I shook my head, "No, Mel."

She sent me a flat look but I noticed the corners of her mouth twitching up. "I retract my statement… you're an idiot.