Chapter Six

"Huh?" I awoke, sitting up so quickly that I got a head rush. There was a high-pitched buzzing coming from somewhere in my vicinity, however, I failed to pinpoint the source. The sound was vaguely familiar and it grew louder as I got up and started searching around my room for the source.

"Found it!" I uttered to myself as I pulled my hand out from under my bed, holding my phone. God knows how it got there.

From: Note Boy.

Good morning.

It was a simple message which would normally leave little to be questioned; however as I glanced over to my alarm clock, the number 5:30 blinked back at me. I was outraged that the message had broken my usual sleeping pattern as I was not supposed to wake up for hours. I

In my fury, I impulsively sent a text back immediately.

To: Note Boy.

Its five freaking AM. This is not MORNING!

I had completely given up on the thought of sleep by this point because I knew my body wouldn't pull me into slumber again until night, no matter how hard I tried. My rage only boiled deeper as his replied came within a minute, alerting me of his sarcastic view.

From: Note Boy

It's actually 5:30, and if we follow the scientific definition, it is, in fact, morning.

In a daze at the nerve he had to mess with me and my one best friend (also known as sleep), I realise that his sin was only worsened by a further fact which I didn't hesitate to remind him of.

To: Note Boy

It's a SATURDAY! Haven't you ever heard of a sleep-in?

His reply came quick and without delay.

From: Note Boy

Nah

At first I believe he was answering in jest, but as the minutes passed by and he failed to elaborate or correct himself, I was led to believe he was telling the truth. Well; I'm sure he'd heard of a sleep-in, he's just failed to have one which prompted my next question:

To: Note Boy

Why don't you have sleep-ins?

He must have been a fast typer, because once again his message came in record time:

From: Note Boy

It's a waste of time. The days are fleeting and we have to make the most of them.

I was almost moved by his small but slightly inspirational explanation, but I couldn't help the unnerving feeling like there was more to it than he would care to let on... almost like he was afraid to be asleep.

I decided it would be smarter not to pry into the private life of someone I barely knew, and instead, offered up a new question which had caught my intrigue:

To: Note Boy

Why are you texting me anyway?

Short and to the point, he replied, 'Why not?'

I rolled my eyes towards the wall in front of me which was littered with pictures of my friends and I in recent years. There had to be hundreds of photos, almost hiding the soft blue paint from view. My favourite had to be the one where Josh had sneezed just before the picture was taken and knocked Annie, Chelsea and I, as well as himself to the ground. Even in the awkward position, you could see by our faces we were all truly happy.

I knew deep down that this picture was far from my favourite, but at the same time, I had promised to never again look at the one I truly loved.

I shook myself from my thoughts and continued trying to prove why Note Boy shouldn't be texting me. I recalled him saying something once and so I reiterated it to him now with the comment, 'because as you said, there are better things to do with your time.'