Chapter Sixteen

Mornings. Effort. Sleep. Me.

"Ugh!" I groaned rolling onto my side only to let out a scream when I saw someone laying next to me.

"Holy crap Poppy!" I exclaimed, "What are you doing."

I noticed she was crying, only just but she was. "It was horrible, he was dying."

I knew straight away she was talking about her dream or should I say nightmare. She had been prone to night terrors ever since she had saw her brother slowly dying in the hospital room.

I pulled her into a hug and just let her sob on my shoulders.

I hated time like these; they reminded me that I hadn't only caused myself grief, but everyone around me, even the little eight year old who was laying her crying.

Days like these, I wished it was me instead. I should have died, not him.

I should have moved.

I pulled away from the hug and looked into her eyes.

"Listen to me Poppy," I started as the little girl looked up at me, "It's not your fault. Your brother loved you and he always will, even if he's gone."

She nodded and wiped the tears from her eyes before letting out a little smile.

"Mummy told me that you have new sisters and a brother."

I nodded to confirm her suspicions and smiled back. "Yep, there is Saige; she's a lot like you were as a baby, feisty and sassy," She giggled at this, "Then there's Hope; she's the calm twin and she absolutely loves Pinky."

Pinky was a little doll I had when I was younger, when Poppy came along, she had a weird connection to it and refused to play with any toys other than her.

She pouted a little at that. The damn girl hated sharing.

"And Mason, he's kind of stubborn; but all together tough." I continued.

"They sound amazing," She said dreamily, "Are you excited?"

"For what?" I asked stupidly though I had no idea what the little girl was on about.

She raised an eyebrow, sizing me up. "You really can't remember?"

I shook my head, "What is it?"

She shook her head and let out a little chuckle, "Your birthday silly."

"Huh?" I asked dumbly.

"Today is your birthday," She continued, looking at me like I was stupid.

No. That can't be right.

20, 21, 22… Crap. She's right.

"Oh my god, it's my birthday." I mumbled.

Poppy nodded her head and grabbed my arm, struggling to get me out of the bed. "Come on. I want you to open your presents!"

"Presents?" I wondered. I only got here last night. How could they have gotten me presents?

She nodded. "Yep! There's a lot of them."

I looked at her curiously and cautiously climbed out of the bed.

After allowing the little monster to drag me down the stairs, I was shock by what I was met with.

"Surprise!" Everyone screamed, knocking my socks off as they would say.

I stared at the crew in front of me. Sheryl, Charlie, Poppy, Chris (Ash's dad), Sophia, Annie, Chelsea, Luke, Josh, Layna, Sam and too my surprise even Nina.