Chapter Five

"What the hell!" I shouted out loud, rather than in my head like I'd hoped, gaining the attention of everyone in my English class. "Something you'd like to share, Melissa?" Mrs Black asked in that condescending teacher voice; showing her dominance by crossing her arms over her chest in a strong pose.

I sat up straight in my chair, gulping in fear before mustering my best face of innocence, "No, nothing." My head shook as I felt a cold sweat break out on my forehead. I almost scowled at the look of self-pride that swept over the teachers face, obviously pleased with her ability to scare innocent students. Well, not-so-innocent students.

"Then I would suggest you stay quiet in my class," she dropped all signs of pleasantry as she slammed a textbook down on the desk, causing the echo to diminish all the noise in the classroom. I swallowed my anxiety and nodded, not daring to open my mouth or so much as blink.

I had been in fourth period then and the day before had gone like any other. Dropping the girls home and a boring long dinner where mum couldn't shut up about how there were new people moving in next door, and how they were also expecting a baby so their babies could grow up together and be best friends. It was almost sickening.

After a minute of staring me down, the teacher finally returned to the paragraph on the board causing the rest of the class to return to their quiet chatter.

Once all eyes were facing ahead, I resumed what I had been doing earlier and looked down at the latest message that had been scrawled on the note that had caused my outburst. It read:

'We should talk more frequently; this table thing just isn't working for me. What's your phone number?'

My head involuntarily shook at the idiocy of the proposal. After all, I had no clue who this person was, or anything about them, and yet they expected me to just give them my number? For the first time it past my mind that it might be some kid of scam.

I felt a momentary pull on m nerves, as if urging me to accept the offer; however, as it passed my judgement caught up to me and I instead took out my pen and began to write back to the stranger;

'I can't give you my phone number; I don't know anything about you. Knowing guys, this is probably just another pick-up strategy. You get the girl feeling sorry for you with a sappy story and then BAM! She's in your arms. Well guess what, I'm not like that so you may as well go find action somewhere else.'

I smiled at how confident the message sounded unlike in reality where the words would have stuttered past my lips in the presence of a boy with the exception of those who caught my hatred, a.k.a Mark Hastings.

"What was that all about?" Annie questioned from my left side, stealing my attention from the note that I'd been reading over and over. I shrugged pretending it was nothing out of the ordinary and commented lightly, "I was just remembering something that was shocking."

Her gaze held it's suspicion, but -against her better judgement- she let it go. The lesson ended in sync with our discussion of the matter as the bell cut through the air. Packing up my books, I decided to start on a new topic to avoid possible further questioning, "what are your plans for the weekend?"

As we exited the classroom, she looked thoughtful before responding, "Probably just catching a movie with Chels," she paused for before she added in a mumble, "I also have a date." This caught my attention, and the entire hallway's as I screamed, "WHAT!?" To divide the bystanders attention, I falsely explained, "her goldfish died."

I wretched her into the closest classroom before- in a voice slightly commanding- interrogated, "care to explain this date? None of us- well other than Josh- have had a date since year seven so... care to explain?!" It wasn't that we were undesirable; may boys had asked us, but none had ever struck our fancy.