Chapter Twelve: Life Or Death

Fury.

That's all I felt as I looked down at my lifeless mother. She was pale white, and her eyes were dead.

I'm so stupid. I had the opportunity; I should have stayed with her while I could, but now it's too late.

It all started an hour ago...

*FLASHBACK*

"Idiot." I mumbled. I couldn't admit my song had yet to start being made, and yet I had pretty much just declared war with Mark.

After school had ended for the day, I was heading to the hospital to visit mum again. I decided to ditch my car as it was only a five minute walk. Shortly after; I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. This wasn't usual for this time of day.

I opened the message that was flashing across my screen.

Hey beautiful-NB

I rolled my eyes and decided to reply immediately,

How would you know I'm beautiful, we haven't even met?-NG

It's on the inside that counts-NB

I suppressed a laugh, because that is cheesy beyond compare.

That's deep, but now is not a good time.-NG

He replied immediately, showing his evident concern.

What's wrong?-NB

It's personal.-NG

We're strangers right, who better to tell than me.-NB

Well that is a good point...

I sighed as I slowly began to give into my urge to tell him. It couldn't hurt right? He didn't even know me or anything about me.

My mum is dying and I'm stupid enough to think that she could still come back from this.-NG

Admitting the simple truth was hard; probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. She is not coming back, she may be alive by law, but she is already gone.

If it's any conciliation, I know how you feel.-NB

I rolled my eyes, how could he possibly understand what I'm going through?!

Is your mum dying too?-NG

No.-NB

Then how could you possibly understand how I feel.-NG

I was getting a bit mad now; I hated people who claimed they know how it feels when they really have no clue.

It took a matter of minutes until I felt my phone vibrate in my hand.

I looked down and read the one message that had my heart shattering to pieces:

Both my parents are dead.-NB

Holy crap, I’m such a b*tch. Why did I say that?

The only thing I could think to do was apologize, and I did. Profusely.

I must have sent at least ten texts saying sorry until I was satisfied he accepted it.

Anyway, I have practice. I've got to go.-NB

You play an instrument?-NG

Something like that...-NB

What do you mean?-NG

By now I had arrived at my mother’s hospital room. I looked across at her motionless body and couldn't help but wish things were different.

Looking on the table beside me, I saw a note: