Chapter Two

"You really did that?" Chelsea cracked up laughing after I had finished explaining why Mark had suddenly lost his flawless complexion in the parking lot earlier. I joined in a matter of seconds after as we continued on our route home with the car averaging a 60km/hr speed.

"You never seize to amaze me." Chelsea shook her head, finally calming down from her fits of laughter well after my own had diminished. "Well thank you," I accepted what I took to be a compliment in gratitude.

"This is why you're my friend," I glanced at her briefly, reviewing her statement silently before I asked a question of my own out of genuine interest, "Why am I your friend?"

"You keep life interesting." Her simple reply again had me guessing, especially as I caught the sly look on her face, but I deemed it better not to question her logic and instead opted for a simple, "Don't I." After all, this statement alone was far more true than I'd care to admit.

Our absentminded chatter continued up until we arrived at our destination. Without hesitation, Chelsea and I both jumped out of my car the second it was parked and I was sure to lock it behind me, I've always been a little conscious of my things getting stolen.

"See you later!" I called to Chelsea as I headed towards my front door. Her reply came just as quickly as she threw a swift, "call me if you need anything!" over her shoulder, already running across the street to her own house. I chuckled a bit when she tripped over the last step on her porch but she quickly recovered and ran inside just in time to hide the faint blush that I assumed would cover her face in mere moments.

I opened the door to my own house and entered without hesitation. I always liked to think I had a loving home. It was only the five of us with my mother, father, little sister and brother. It was unfortunate that my parents often flew across the world for business, but we got no less love than other children and they always tried to be around for holidays, especially Christmas.

"Who's there?" My dad's voice flowed from the kitchen doorway. He sounded scared, like he thought I was a robber or something; it seems someone may be more conscious than I am. I walked into the kitchen to calm his fears and he immediately looked relieved.

"It's just me daddy." I trotted over to kiss him on the cheek with a goofy smile on my face. "Hey sweetie pie," came his immediate response, "you're home early, did something happen?" He added, sounding slightly concerned. We had only been a few minutes early as normally Chelsea would stop by her locker, but today she must have finished the equations with some time to spare.

I shook my head, to grant him relief from his worries. "No, Mr Williams just let us leave early, you know first day back and all." I explained, walking over to the fruit bowl, I peeled a banana, taking a bite as my first priority.

He nodded in understanding in time to flip one of the pancakes he was making.

"Really, Dad? Pancakes? It's like three o'clock." I chuckled at his inability to have meals at the time they were meant for. "Hey! You love pancakes too, don't deny it." He accused, pointing his spatula in my direction.

I only shrugged, not debating his verdict, "I never did."

"Good point," He now flipped the pancakes onto a plate where several were already piled high before turning the stove off.

"Here you are sweetie." He said as he placed a pancake in front of me. I grinned happily and straightened myself in my chair; Pancakes are easily my favourite food, well that and pizza. Before I could take a bite, I recognised the familiar sound of footsteps meeting the stairs, so instead I turned to dad and started counting down. "5, 4, 3, 2, 1... and here we go."