Chapter Fifteen: Home

Tears suck.

They leave your face stained, but more importantly, they leave you feeling empty.

That's precisely what I feel.

It's amazing being back here. Seeing his family, making amends, but it will never be the same. Not without Ashton here.

Stories of the past wander through my head as I with hold the urge to bring them up. It would only do more harm than good.

"It's a nice place you have here," I told Sheryl, walking into the kitchen, "It's cozy. Feels like home."

"Well it feels more like home with you back here sweetie." I couldn't help but smile at the familiar comments.

I hoisted my body up onto one of the bar seats under the counter and watched as Sheryl fished something out of the oven. "What are you cooking?"

"Choc-chip cookies."

Oh crap. I think I just drooled.

"And yes; I remember they're your favourite, so you can have the first," she continued.

This is why I love this woman.

It only took me three seconds to place the entire cookie in my mouth and swallow. I was that hungry.

"How long has it been since you've eaten?" Sheryl asked with a laugh.

Crap. I didn't think this through.

She must have seen the look on my face because she narrowed her eyes to stare at me accusingly. "How long has it been since you've eaten?" She repeated, in a more threatining way.

"Earlier today."

She shook her head and looked disappointed. Damn woman; I never could lie to her. 

"Why?"

It was a simple question, and yet I couldn't formulate a valid answer. Deep down I knew the real reason; but it isn't that simple to tell someone.

She sighed after a couple of minutes when I hadn't answered before walking over to the cupboard and tossing me a container. I barely had enough time to react and caught it a second before it hit the ground.

"What's this?" I asked, already opening the container.

"Pasta."

"Pasta?" I repeated, sending her a look.

"Yep."

"Why?" I asked, placing the container back on the table.

She sighed. "Just eat it."

"Is it poisoned?"

She rolled her eyes before putting a fork into my hand and saying, "Eat."

That demand was all it took for me to start scoffing it down. After one bite, I couldn't get enough, it was addicting. I forgot how good Sheryl was at cooking. It kind of made me miss my mum.

 "Now tell me what's up," Sheryl demanded, "And I won't take no for an answer. I just didn't want you to faint in the middle of talking."

"Mum got pregnant," I blurted before I could stop myself.

Sheryl's eye's were the size of sources when she croaked out, "when is it due?"

"They were born about a week ago." I stated the fact.

"They?!" Her mouth now joined her eyes in widening, "Twins?"

"Triplets," I mumbled.

"Triplets?! I have to tell your mum congratulations on surviving it-"