Chapter Fourteen: The Past

"Ash!" I squealed, looking up in to the boy who was currently dangling upside down on the tree , "Get down from there!"

He shook his head in protest and crossed his arms over his chest. "Make me," He challenged.

And I thought the boy knew better than that...

With one quick tug on his arm, he did a half front flip and landed on his knees on the grass. Luckily for me, he was close to the ground.

"Ouch!" He whined.

"Serves you right."

He rolled his eyes and stood up, cracking his back in the process. "You'll be the death of me woman."

"I'm only eight, the proper term is girl."

He shook his head but shut up and so I smirked in victory.

I turned my head towards the house to look for the others, they should be here soon. I feel something cold on my back and turn around just in time to be hit head on with a rush of water, drenching me from head to toe.

When it stops and my vision clears, I look to see an innocent looking Ashton holding a hose.

That meanie poo pants.

As if the gods hadn't punished me enough, I hear the screen door open followed by light footsteps.

"Water fight!" Sophia screams, running out the door and behind her I spot Nina, Annie, Chelsea and even Luke

Chelsea being Chelsea, manages to trip over the hose and ends the fight before it even began.

"Are you ok?" I ask, kneeling beside her.

"Sucker," She mutters and next thing I know, I get a hose to the face again.

I shook my head, "It is so on."

"I want to stay like this forever." Ash tells me, as we stand back to back.

"Me too."

I awoke with a start to find the whole class staring at me. Well this is awesome.

"Miss Hughes. Is my class that boring that you find the need to fall asleep?" Mrs Reed, our English teacher, asked as she slammed a ruler down on the desk in front of me.

I felt like I was going to faint. Ash's voice was echoing through my head as if I had only heard it yesterday. If that wasn't bad enough, the whole class was staring at me, barely containing their amused smiles.

I shook my head even though I wasn't paying much attention to what she had said. The only thing going through my mind was the word forever.

Ash said it and so did my mother. I feel like i'm missing something.

"Miss Hughes, are you listening to me?" She asking, slamming the ruler again.

My eyes shot up to meet hers as I nodded, trying to focus on what she was going to say.

"I said that if you ever fall asleep in my class again, you'll find your way to the principals office."

I once again nodded, but I felt no real promise in the action though it seemed good enough for her as she went back to her lesson.

"You look pale as a ghost," Annie commented turning my head to face her.

She and Luke had always been in this class and now that Sophia had enrolled, we shared English, Maths and Music together.