Chapter Four

The rest of the day passed by fairly normally. Annie took us home from school, Chelsea fell over a few times and Nina acted like the huge pain in the butt she has always been. The only major difference was my father's absence, which wasn't to abnormal as to throw my life off balance, but left a sense of hollowness all the same.

I was seated in fifth period English the day after and unlike before, the first thing I did was feel for the familiar smoothness of paper beneath the desk. A gasp of air, shot from my mouth at the shock I felt from seeing the words that had taken residence in the once-blank spot:

'You want to know the truth? I'm telling you this in confidence and if you tell anyone I will make you regret being born. Considering this is anonymous, I'll tell you... My parents died on my eighth birthday so now I'm stuck living on my own. Happy?'

To say I was speechless was an understatement. I couldn't believe that anyone would trust a stranger with something that personal; especially a stranger that had done nothing but insult him. I hadn't expected an honest answer or a reply at all, however I could see where he was coming from.

Perhaps he had a point; the anonymity of not knowing each other would mean there would never be the fear of them telling someone our secrets. It might feel good to talk to someone without judgment, fear or limits... almost like therapy. Though I knew deep down that these secrets wouldn't stay that way forever, I was overcome by a sudden wave of desperation, forcing the tip of my pen to the paper. Before I could stop myself; the words flowed out of me:

'I didn't mean to offend you. God, I feel awful. I hardly see my parents. Only my friends at the school know, but I'm actually rich. Unfortunately it's like they say; it comes at a price. They are usually away on business trips.'

For the first time in a long time, I felt a sense of relief. I may not of told him everything but this was a start. I wasn't so ready to open up about everything, especially when I know next to nothing about him.

I pushed aside my second guesses, trying to force me to scrunch up the note and end this before it even starts, and instead, I slid the note back where it belongs. After that moment, my brain failed to work. I kept thinking of all the possible things that could go wrong, but every time I reached for the note... I thought of something that might just go right.

"Mel...Me-ell... MEL!"

"AH!" I screamed at the sudden voice that had boomed from beside me. Before I had time to catch myself, I felt my butt collide with the ground; my chair flinging into the desk behind me. It was in that moment that I looked up to see Annie chuckling at me. After a moment she spoke through her giggles, "oh my gosh, you should have seen your face."

I raised my hand to my cheek and wiped off a bit of drool that must have formed sometime in the last half-an-hour. "Was I asleep?" I asked, a yawn emitting itself from my mouth without permission.

"I think so, unless of course you have the boogie fever," She nodded, confirming my suspicion as another wave of laughter fell from her lips. "Did I sleep-talk again?" I wondered, internally begging that her only answer would be 'no.' As luck would have it, the opposite left her mouth causing me to pout.

"Great," I rolled my eyes, before I picked myself up off the ground and marched out of the room, my backpack slung over a shoulder. As always, a small glance proved that Annie was hot on my heels in pursuit, keeping her mouth shut though the small smiles showed her amusement had yet to diminish.

I travelled the hall in the direction of my locker, the spot where Chelsea would normally appear; however, I was unpleasantly surprised when my eyes locked with the one person I didn't want to see now or ever.