XV.

POV: Brittany Cartel

Date: December 17, 2013

Winter Break was just a few days away. I was nervous, happy, scared, and humble all at the same time. I was going back to South East,  Washington D.C. in two days and wouldn't be coming back until a week after New Years. That means three whole weeks that I would be gone from FSU. I would love to stay here but I'm getting just a teeny bit homesick and I wanna go see my dad and siblings. I saved up enough money to fly there and back without having to ask my dad for anything. I know as soon as I get there, my little sister and older brother were gonna be asking for money. Plus, I have to put some money on my other older brothers books since he's in jail. I guess you can say Florida was my little gateway away from reality. 

"Ready to go back home?" Jordan asked, packing her bags. 

"Half of me is and the other half isn't," I said, chuckling. "How about you?" 

"Hell yes! Even though I swore to myself that I wouldn't miss those little bastards called my brothers and sisters, I miss them and my foster parents dearly." She replied. 

"I feel you, I catch myself wishing I was still in DC some days." 

"I wanna go to DC so badly." 

"You've never been there before?" I asked her. 

"Nah. How is it like?" 

"As small as DC is, it is big as hell foreal. There's about thousands of hoods there," I said, making her giggle. "But foreal foreal, DC isn't all that. People think about all those Congress men and women who live there in their million dollar homes but down the street from those million dollar homes, is the damn struggle. Adults and kids getting killed, ratchet ass section eight females fighting everyday barely taking care of there kids, it's a mess, but at the same time, it's still home. If it wasn't for me living in the hood, I don't think I would be who I am today. It's a real ass experience." 

"Damn, I feel you. When I think of DC I think of the Pentagon." She said laughing. 

"Trust me, that's what they want everyone to think."

"So what are you doing today?" Jordan asked. "Any classes?"

"Nah, I had my last class for the week yesterday." 

"How about work?" 

"Sadly, but not until tomorrow."

"Wanna go to the square? It;s nice outside for it to be December."

"Yeah, you're right. Let me get ready first."

"Yeah, I need to get ready too. You never know, I might find me a man." She said winking. 

I playfully rolled my eyes and laughed. "You're a hot mess, Jordan." 

I found a nice pair of dark wash skinny jeans, a white long sleeve shirt, black vans, and my Helly Hansen windbreaker. I also paired it with a black infinity scarf just to add something to my outfit. I brushed my curly hair and put on some lip balm. 

"Are you ready, Jordan?" I asked, knocking on the bathroom door. 

"Almost, I'm almost done with my makeup." She yelled. 

I sat on the couch and texted Ivory while she was in class. She texted me and said that she was going to meet me and Ivory in about thirty minutes since her class was almost done. I waited and waited for about ten more minutes before Jordan came out the bathroom actually ready. 

I rolled my eyes. "Took you long enough." 

"Girl, you gots to get cute!" She said, flipping her long box braids. "Dress to impress!"

"Who you trying to impress?" I asked. 

"Ima find out as soon as we step out the apartment door." She said, locking the door behind us. 

"Mhmm." I mumbled.

On our walking to the square, Jordan kept singing that one vine where it was like "Flip your hair and bounce your titties!" I was cracking up the whole entire time. She complained that she was trying to find a man but was acting a fool in public. Ah, I swear I have the best of friends ever. 

"Wanna go grab a snack?" I asked, pulling out my student card. 

She nodded her head. "C'mon let's go hop on that dollar menu train at McDdonalds." 

I laughed. "You're a hot mess, Jordan." 

"You tell me this like everyday, Brittany. Shut the hell up already!" She shouted, playfully hitting me. 

"Hit me again and ima beat the shit out of you." I joked. 

"Please don't I just got my hair done I don't need your ghetto ass messing my shit up." 

"How may I help you?" This fine ass boy asked us behind the counter. 

I squinted my eyes looking at the menu above me. "Can I get a McChicken, small fry, and a small drink, please."

"Alright, and you?" He asked Jordan.

"Same, please." 

We quickly paid for our food then took a seat to eat. After that, we left off to go to the square. It was around three so more people were there before when we walked by. Ivory spotted us and walked over, sitting on a bench. "You guys, I'm so fucking tired!" 

"You're the only one who still had class today." I said.

"I know, fucking Professor Johnson wanted to be Professor do to much these past couple of days." 

"Well that was your last class, right?" Jordan asked. 

Ivory nodded her head then smiled. "Look at bae over there." 

I looked in her direction and spotted Rakim, Jacob, Chresanto, and Rayan. I sighed. Why does Jacob and Chresanto decided to always be together?

"Rayan!" Ivory screamed, waving at them. 

Rayan looked over his shoulder and waved back. It was obvious that Rayan liked Ivory. He was the type to not really show any emotion. He was the cool, laid back, and humble person. He rarely paid anyone any attention so if you weren't a close friend of his and he actually did something like waving back to you, you might as well call Obama because you special!!

Jacob smiled and waved to me so I waved back to him. They started walking over to us and I sighed. Fuck, I hated hanging around Jacob and Chresanto at the same time. It wasn't like I could flirt with both of them at the same time. 

"Hey, Brittany." Chresanto said, giving me a side hug. 

"Hi, Chresanto." I said, hugging back.

I then hugged Jacob and he hugged back. "Hi, Jacob."

"Hi, Brittany." 

"What's up with you guys?" Jordan asked. 

"Nothing, we just out here chillin," Rakim said. "What ya'll 'bout to do?" He asked. 

"Chill out here for a while," Jordan answered. "It's somewhat nice out here." 

Rakim nodded his head. "How about we go back to ya'll crib? It's boring as fuck out here." 

"I guess we can do that." 

I stood up and started walking in the direction of our apartment. I didn't want to walk with Chresanto or Jacob because it would be awkward. So I just walked alone in the back of the group while everyone else walked together. 

I sighed. At least when I got back home I can have some time to myself away from these boys.