Thirty Eight

this chapter features one of my favorite jokes in the world :)

it's really bad.

I love bad jokes.

* * * *

Thirty Eight

Harry's medicine was finally kicking in and we were currently walking through the streets of a little town. We all split up, but made plans to eat lunch together later.

"Harry, where's the map?" I asked, holding his hand.

"Left it on the bus." He said, with a smirk.

"Harry!"

"We're going to be fine, babe. Don't worry."

I sighed. "What is up with men? You weren't born with a GPS within you." I scratched my head. "Is it just a manly thing?"

"Don't question a man's motive to show how he can handle himself."

"The alpha male in you is showing."

"The feminist in you is creeping out."

We both laughed and he squeezed my hand. I looked up at him in admiration. He didn't look as sickly as he did days ago. He wore a plaid shirt - red and black - with shades and dark jeans and his favorite brown boots. His lips curved into a smile.

"Shop." He pointed, then looked at me. "You wanna go in?"

The town was rural, far away from the city. I nodded immediately as Harry pulled me toward the little store and opened the door for me. There was all sorts of trinkets and little toys. We bought these cool rope bracelets but we didn't get matching ones. We both agreed that was so cliche and we didn't want to be cliche.

He paid at the checkout and the cashier gave us a kind smile before we left the store. I tied the bracelet around his wrist and he tightened mine so it fit securely. We reached for each other's hands and kept walking.

"How's college?" He asked me as I ran a hand through my hair.

"It's great. I always hated school because it wasn't centered around things I liked, but college is more interesting because its actually geared to something that I know will actually benefit me." I smiled. "I want to go back to Bayberry and not as a patient. I want to understand the misunderstood."

Harry nodded. "I think you'll do a fine job."

"It seems like its so far away. Four years, Harry. But it's so great. I'm understanding people and their motives and behavior and schizophrenia is the most mind blowing thing that the professor has spoken about it's absolutely - "

He pressed his lips against mine, silencing me. My eyes widened for a second, but I relaxed and kissed him back.

"What was that for?" I laughed softly as we pulled away.

"You're cute when you sound like a textbook."

My face felt hot as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I muttered a shy 'thanks', making Harry chuckle.

He bit his lip, slinking his arm around my waist. "Where did you go last night?" He whispered hotly in my ear.

I tensed a little, looking up at him. "Harry, you - "

He squeezed my waist a little tighter, almost making me yelp. "You hung up on me."

"We just went o-out. I promise."

"In a midnight blue dress? With heels and earrings?"

I didn't want to say that Zayn bought me the entire ensemble. I didn't want him to get in any trouble either. I'd cover for him. It was my decision to go to the restaurant with him anyways.