One

One

Edward Christopher Sheeran was my best friend. We met when we were small, still trying to find our place in the world with big hopes and dreams. He seemed to take more interest in the girl sitting in the back writing and getting lost in the choirs' medleys, over my overachieivng sister who was always fighting for his attention. We seemed to click from there. I had a small crush on the ginger haired boy. The feelings were mutual. He was the only one I'd let read my diary or my poetry because I trusted him. I was in love with the way he strummed his guitar and his smooth, yet rocky voice, and he was in love with my words.

As of now, we acted like a couple, but really weren't. Sure, we kissed each others cheeks and hugged each other like we hadn't seen each other in years, but we never took it any farther than that.

"Can't fall in love with my songwriter," He'd joke when we were a little younger. "That's dangerous. You could totally bash me and sabotage my hit album."

"Love's gross anyways." I said, and he nodded.

"Love's evil."

"Why do you say that?" I scrunched up my nose.

"No, I mean really. It's evil. Look!" He snatched my diary out of my hands and wrote 'Love' backwards. "E-V-O-L."

I gasped, realizing he was right. I didn't remember how old we were then. Still, I was young and thought Ed was the smartest guy in the world after that. "Also, you and I could be shorted to U.N.I. Like UNI."

That led to one of his next songs on his '+' albums. I listened to it from my hospital bed.

I loved him to bits though. We were three years apart. He was there for me through it all.

I really owed my life to him.

Hearing someone tap on the glass behind me as I sat in the waiting room chairs, I whipped my head around to see Ed giving me a little smile against the glass. I quickly grabbed my things, ran out the door and hugged him. He chuckled a little, rubbing my back as I clung on tightly to him.

"It's been so long, love," He whispered, sounding so close to tears. He pulled away, taking a moment to look at me. He wiped away my tears and I shoved him a little. He smiled a little, but turned serious again. "You've gotten more beautiful since the last time I saw you. Aww, Scarlett!" He pinched my cheeks, killing the somewhat romantic thing he said before.

"Shut up." I tried not to blush, feeling a big smile on my face.

"You know from this point on, everything you say and do may be held against you or in my new album."

"Oh really?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you 'Shut Up', Ed's newest single." He paused, for dramatic effect, making me laugh. "'I always tell her how much she means to me, do do do, I always tell her how I love how close she is to me, but with her-" He paused, grinning mischievously at me. "Scarlett lips she says, 'Shut up, Ed, you're just lyin' to me." He finished as we both laughed.

"Write that down for a bonus track!" I smiled.

"After lunch. I'm sure the hospital's food was no good."

I nodded in agreement as Ed hurriedly rushed me to his car, muttering something about paparazzi.

I almost forgot how famous Ed was now. If I wasn't so messed up in my head, maybe I'd be there to come along and watch him live his dream.

Leaving the McDonalds drive-thru and staring at my first obstacle from being away from the clinic - my food - Ed certainly surprised me.

"Ooh! There's some people you have to meet, Scarlett!"

"What?! Ed!"

"Don't 'Ed' me! When you're with me you know we're gonna have fun."

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. It'd be perfect to get things off my mind.