Chapter 5

I lay down on the beach towel with the umbrella blocking the sunlight from my face, I closed my eyes for what was a few seconds, the next thing I knew, Jake jumped onto me, whining.

"He's probably just tired," I said to the boys as they sat down with me,

"Come and lay down with me and have a nap," I let Jake lie next to me on the beach towel, rocking him in my arms. Once again, I had dozed off, and Jake must have woken up as when I opened my eyes he was gone, I jolted up, glancing around quickly looking for him,

"It's okay, he's with James" I heard Brad say next to me. He placed his towel next to mine and put his head onto my shoulder,

"What's the wrong, your shaking - are you cold?" he whispered into my ear, his warm breath tickling my skin.

"I'm fine." I replied with a smile on my face, "Can you pass my handbag please." I asked pointing to where I had put it.

Brad didn't know I was diabetic. I rolled over so he couldn't see what I was doing and pulled out my blood sugar level tester from my bag. I cleaned my finger and pricked it, 2.3. Shit. My blood sugar levels were low! I dug through my bag looking for my sugar tablets, I hadn't packed any.

I rolled over to see Brad with his head phone in. I tapped him on his shoulder,

"Please don't worry, I'm fine but can you pass me Jake's bag and get me some sugar tablet? They should be in the front zip." I asked trying to stay calm.

"What wrong - sugar tablets?" He said with a worried tone in his voice.

"I'm diabetic, I'll be fine I just need some sugar" I said, with that Brad rushed to get Jake's bag trying to find the tablets,

"Here." He said whilst handing me the packet, "Let me open them." He had obviously seen my shaking hands trying to open them. I took the tablet and lay back down, not wanting him to worry, by now he had called the other boys over,

"Are you okay?" James panted after the run.

"I'm fine, it always happens. Don't worry!" I said trying to reassure them. I told a tiny white lie - it didn't always happen, only twice in my life, but I didn't want them to panic.

I sat up and leant against Brad, I checked my levels again 4.6. "Look, I told you, it's going up - it was 2.3 before." I said, hoping that they would feel better.

"What it supposed to be?" Connor asked, apparently fascinated by the machine,

"Well, it's supposed to be around 4 for you lot, but for me I can be between 4-8" I said. "Do you want to try?" I asked Connor. He nodded eagerly in response.

I wiped his finger and pricked it, "5.2, that's good. You've just had an ice cream so it will be higher than "normal"" I said to him seeing a big grin on his face.

"BUE BUE" Jake shouted excitedly pointing to his bucket.

I got up and walked over to Jake, still feeling a bit wobbly, I sat down next to him placing some sand into his bucket.

"Do you want to go home? You don't look well" A worried Brad said from behind me.

"No, I'm fine. I don't want to ruin your day" I faked-smiled. I was feeling pretty rough, it always makes me really tired when my sugar levels drop.

"Don't be silly. Come on, we're going" Brad said helping me up.

"Come on, Jake, we're going home now." I told him as I began to stand up.

"NO!" he screamed, throwing himself to the floor.

"Jake, come on, now." I said, starting to get angry.