Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place (Present Part Four)

For the first time since he had escaped Azkaban Sirius felt truly free. Soaring through the skies, surrounded on either side by an endless azure sky which stretched out beyond Buckbeak’s wings Sirius felt as if he was finally free to come out of hiding. As he peered over Buckbeak’s neck he gazed at the rolling sea beneath him, so different from the one which surrounded Azkaban. There it had been a thundering and stormy grey monster which rose up unbidden and tried to engulf the small island which the prison stood on; here it was a cheerful and gentle turquoise which mirrored the colour of the sky above. In the distance he could just make out a small tropical island; as they flew ever nearer Sirius saw pristine white beaches and lush green palm trees and he directed Buckbeak to land on it.

Sirius collapsed on the sand beside Buckbeak while the tropical sun bathed them in warmth. “We’re here,” he mumbled, rendered delirious by tiredness and relief at being out of the reach of the Ministry. Eventually he stood up, brushing sand off his tattered clothes and leading Buckbeak off the beach. “Come on Witherwings,” he muttered, clicking his tongue as he pulled the hippogriff from the sand.

***************************************************************************

Sirius laughed as he saw Harry’s reply to his letter, but at the same time he couldn’t help feeling a little disappointed in him; it looked like Harry was trying to keep him away and out of trouble. He dipped his quill in the ink pot beside him and penned a reply.

Nice try, Harry,
I’m back in the country and well hidden. I want you to keep me posted on everything that’s going on at Hogwarts, don’t use Hedwig, keep changing owls, and don’t worry about me, just watch out for yourself. Don’t forget what I said about your scar.
Sirius

Feeling satisfied that he had included enough warnings to stay safe he tied the letter to Hedwig’s outstretched leg, hoping that Harry had the good sense to follow it; if James and Lily ended up dying for nothing… Sirius couldn’t bear the thought and it seemed like the danger was only just beginning.

***************************************************************************

He had never thought he’d see that house again. 12 Grimmauld Place towered menacingly into the night, obscuring the few stars behind it and Sirius remembered just how much he had hated living there. Not even the thought of Azkaban and its forbidding atmosphere, the chill in his freezing cell could make him any happier to be back in his childhood house.

Sirius collapsed on his bed and shut his eyes. It was a far cry from his bed in his house with Cassie but he mustn’t think of that, mustn’t think of her or how much he loved her, how much he missed her.

Everything about his room here reminded him of his childhood. The Gryffindor banners reminded him of Prongs, Moony and unfortunately Wormtail, the sneaking traitor; the picture on his dresser hammered home how happy he had been at Hogwarts. Giving in to the desire to do something, anything at all, he leapt up and kicked his things over, trying in vain to tear down the posters and the banners, the tiredness brought on by his journey banished by his fury at the world. The hurt he thought he had buried resurfaced, as strong as it had ever been before until finally he wore himself out and collapsed on the bed, surrounded by the wreckage of his room.

That evening Sirius opened the door to find Dumbledore standing on the doorstep, looking much the same as he had all those years ago. The sight of his old headmaster brought about a sharp feeling of anger inside Sirius; he knew that he had to stay here for his own good but he didn’t like it at all.

***************************************************************************

Sirius drifted around his house silently, hating everything that he saw. He could hear the portrait of his mother grumbling under her breath and a number of times he passed Kreacher on the stairs, who gave him a dirty look before continuing on, muttering about Sirius being, “a disgrace to the Black name.”